1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jail time for Plax?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Jul 27, 2009.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Good to see a prosecutor actually try to enforce the law instead of letting another idiot athlete skate:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07272009/news/regionalnews/manhattan/morgy_out_to_tackle_plax_181537.htm

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Yes, society will be better off if this knucklehead is behind bars at the public's expense.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The value of putting somebody in jail goes beyond keeping the person off the street. It is also meant as a deterrant, in this case a message to somebody who might carry a weapon illegally or to a big shot who thinks he is above the law.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Well, let's see, carrying an unregistered, concealed weapon in New York is a felony with a supposedly mandatory 3-5 year sentence. They'll let him plea it down and give him a year or two (they'll probaby settle for 18 months and he'll be out in a year anyway), which is always better than letting some idiot off the hook completely becuase he can catch a football.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

As much as I would like to see this a-hole behind bars, I'll believe it when I see it.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Fine the shit out of him and collect some money instead of spending it.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Fuck it, let's make up the laws as we go.
    If the freaking jackass had dropped the gun and it went off and wounded or killed someone, would you say the same thing?

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yeah, let's let the rich guy buy his way out of jail time. There's a great message for the legal system.

9. Smasher_Sloan

But it didn't. And, frankly, if the freaking jackass didn't play football, the DA wouldn't be so hot about this case, either.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Bingo.

I'm curious to know how many NYC defendants charged with possession of an unregistered firearm and no other crime get the book thrown at them like this. Asinine. Apparently the Manhattan DA has cleaned up all the other crime in New York County and has plenty of time to dedicate to irrelevant bullshit.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Glad someone brought it up.

From the legal analysts I have heard, the answer is NO ONE goes to jail solely for this offense.

People have this bizarre fantasy that athletes and other celebrities get off easy in these cases. Far more ofter they get reamed by a DA that wants to look tough on a high profile case.

I don't give shit one about Plaxico Burress, but let's not pretend he's somehow going to get light treatment here.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That's what i've heard, too. That few people get jail time for that offense. So, my question is, why the hell not?

I'm not in favor of treating athletes any differently, but why are so many other thugs getting off? Thank God, i'm nowhere close to NYC.

Draft saved Draft deleted