1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jaguars to partially abandon that hellhole Jacksonville

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I don't have anything at all against Jacksonville the city ... I've never been there.

What I do take issue with is Hondo coming on here, doing his best Kevin Bacon impression, and constantly proclaiming that all is well with the Jaguars.

Dude ... we've seen the games there. We've seen the swaths of empty seats (and not just in the nose-bleeds). We've seen the tarps.

Many of us are also aware that the official NFL attendance figures you cite are often laughable and misleading for teams that don't draw.

Stop trying to sell a lemon. In terms of relevance and interest, the Jaguars are pretty close to last in the NFL, if not last overall.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Jacksonville is perfectly nice. I don't care for Florida in general, but that's just personal taste. However, Jacksonville is small as pro sports cities go, and the opportunities for an NFL team to make money in London are obviously greater. That applies to a lot of other NFL towns, too.

3. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

I forgot, you have a connection or a family member for every topic that gets posted.

Being unhappy with a franchise because it has sucked for eleven years is not "turning your back". How many blackouts did the Jaguars have in 2011? The Redskins with the "200K waiting list" pulled seats out of FedEx because of the struggle to sell tickets. The reason? Shitty teams. Same as Jacksonville, Buffalo, Miami, Tampa and any other team that struggles to sell tickets. The NFL is a corporate-driven ticket and cities that don't have big companies will struggle to sell tickets to the average joe when it is cheaper to sit at home and watch on TV.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Jacksonville might be a great city, but if an owner can make more money elsewhere, then he or she will try to do so.

There are only so many teams that could move to L.A.

5. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Atmosphere? Character? A real sense of community? Feeling alive?
    Public restrooms are one of the tragedies of the commons.
    Screw worrying about it. They're never going to be perfect.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

I wouldn't say its a "great" city. There's a big difference between LA and Jacksonville. A big difference.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The simple fact is a team that is drawing well is not going to lose a home game to London.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Less traffic and pollution in Jax?

9. Mizzougrad96

I've given up guessing what team will wind up in LA.

There's still part of me that thinks Goodell will never let a current team move. If he's dead set on keeping the league at 32, maybe a team is sold to the league and the league treats it like an expansion situation. If Houston paid $800 million for expansion rights, one would think a LA team would break a billion.

10. Mizzougrad96

If we're talking Jax as a city, it's not too bad... I don't like the place, but I could certainly understand how someone might...

If we're talking about it for NFL game-day atmosphere, it's 32 out of 32.

11. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Maybe Jacksonville residents ought to repeatedly congratulate themselves for having the great sense to live there, like Angelenos do.

12. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I'm in this camp, too. As long as LA stays empty, every team that doesn't have the bestest stadium and most favorable lease conditions, or has trouble drawing fans, can just sigh and bat its eyes toward LA. That usually gets public money spent on new stadiums, lease concessions, etc., and the world keeps spinning.

Draft saved Draft deleted