1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jaguars beat writer, Florida Times-Union

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Furry Tractor, Apr 21, 2006.

1. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

Just from having to cover NFL games when the Jaguars came to town, working around Vito is unique.
    At the NFL owners meeting in Orlando, he asked Tagliabue if the NFL was going to be looking into cutting off beer sales after the third quarter.
    The guy is way past his prime, but what does it say for the paper when it looks and appears like he is the No. 1 beat guy

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Not to get into the whole Vito thing, but isn't this a legitimate question your adult readership might be interested in if true?

3. boots

boots New Member

what the hell do you mean past his prime?

4. Just want to make sure I have this correct: None of could possibly want this job because it's in an allegedly bad corner of Florida? ... OK. ... We must all work in paradise somewhere ... Off the top of the head, J'ville has a pro football team -- an NFL team; not some arena team. ... It has minor-league baseball. ... Division I hoops. ... The island green. .... Daytona 500 only 90 minutes or so away. ... Georgia vs. Florida. ... I dunno; I've almost convinced myself to send the resume and clips. ... Yet a lot of the posts are bleep-canning this job simply based on location? Locaton? ... Is that how cynical we've become as a profession/way-of-life? ... Wake up! It's Florida! When it's snowing and sleeting in the Northeast, this is a bad place to be? Huh? ... Woonsocket, or Florida? ... Trenton, or Florida? ... Buffalo, or Florida? ... Erie, or Florida?

5. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

It's more than just location.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

No, it's really not. It's South Georgia, it carries those traditions, that sentimentality and that mindset.

For all the negative thoughts -- and for all the lame, unfunny, retread, city-bashing Super Bowl columns that a lot of overfed Yank columnists belched forth a year ago -- you can do a hell of a lot worse than Jacksonville.

7. boots

boots New Member

Jville sucks worse than you will never know if you never lived there. However, it is a job and that's a very precious thing to have.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I've drank beer in Jacksonville and done other recreational stuff, and I've never had a bad time there. Not once. It's not Davenport, Iowa.

9. boots

boots New Member

I too have done a lot in Jville. I can't say I had a good time.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Germany or Florida?

11. boots

boots New Member

Without question, Germany.; Better beer. Better women.

12. joe king

joe king Active Member

Can we stop bickering over what kind of town Jax is and realize that one man's heaven is another's pisshole (and vice versa)? OK, so it's more like South Georgia than South Florida. I understand it's not for everyone. But to some people, that's a good thing. I'm sure there are many who prefer Jax to, say, Miami, just as I'm sure there are many who reside in Jax and love it. Others can't get out soon enough. Got it. Move along.

Draft saved Draft deleted