1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jaguars allowing fans to watch something else

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ColdCat, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Dunno. I ignore that commercial stuff. If I start watching other games at the stadium, pretty soon I'm thinking it's time to stop going to the stadium. But that's me. I'm there for live football, not video distractions. Other fans' mileage will vary. And I'm probably in the minority anyway.

2. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I think it's brilliant. With how connected people are, they want to be able to know exactly what happened immediately. It will really help the dull stadium experience during timeouts and halftime. I would hope they have enough common sense to not play it during the actual game though ...

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

That's not accurate and I get that you're joking. But like any NFL city, a plurality of sports fans in Jacksonville identify themselves as NFL fans. College football is second. Among those who identify themselves as primarily college football fans, more say they are Gator Fans (no shock). Georgia is a distant third behind FSU. It seems as if Gator fans dominate the area but they don't. It's because, in the words of the late, great Gene Pullen, they're "LOGs" -- Loud Obnoxious Gators.

4. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

I was a Jags season ticket holder for a year -- still would be if I lived there now. This is a great idea for stoppages. People are on their phones during that time anyway keeping up with fantasy teams and other games as well.

As for Gators, I'm reminded of the quote (now less accurate but meaningful pre mid-90s)), "the arrogance of Notre Dame with the history of Wake Forest."

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

So they're just going to give up the revenue from commercials on the Jumbotron? Fat chance.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Well, as someone else pointed out, there are a lot of dead spots during a game where you can show stuff. Not really any different than posting scores of out of town games.

It is sort of ironic that over the last 20-30 years, the NFL and other leagues have pandered so much to the TV people paying the huge rights fees and sort of ignored the live gate. I suppose that makes some sense economically, but given the price of some of these tickets, I would argue the live fans deserve a better shake. When the option of staying home and watching the broadcast is superior to being there in person, something is wrong.

7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Part of this trend is being driven by better at home viewing experiences, but part of it is also due to how people value their time and money nowadays. Gas prices, ticket prices, concession prices, parking prices, asshole fans and time spent in traffic can all contribute to negative experiences. And in some cities, asshole owners [hello, DC].

There is a big difference between $10 and $100, and somewhere in between is a ticket price point with which most people have no problem. But as prices get beyond $100, people tend to really start weighing that expense (multiplied by however many kids/family go with you) versus FREE and choosing the latter.

Duh. This was stating the obvious.

What I really wanted to say was that it amazes me that with all the new information technology, we seem to value our time even more than before, and are putting up with inconveniences less and less.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

What gets me is charging $20 or more to park your car. When you're already paying $100 for each ticket. What a ripoff. Parking should be a courtesy.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Unless the Niners or the local team is playing on Sunday, I watch the Red Zone Channel. It's the greatest.

That said, if I'm paying $60-$100 a ticket to go to a game, I want to watch the game. If they want to use Red Zone during halftime or in between quarters, I'm fine with that, but if you have something on the JumboTron during game action that other people might watch, that's absurd.

There should be some exceptions, but one would think those exceptions would only come in Week 17 when a playoff berth or division title was contingent on another team losing.

Hell, there are stadiums that won't put up scores of any NFL games during Week 17 because they don't want anyone on the field distracted by another team's outcome.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Fair point but if NFL players can't concentrate on the task at hand (the game they're playing), they don't deserve to back in because someone loses.
    I think the Jaguars are ahead of the game here. The rest of the teams will follow suit ... well, maybe not Hoodie, who can't trust his players to not look at a video board while the ball is being snapped.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I totally agree. It's something leagues and teams need to take a look at. If people start staying home en masse it's not good for the sport.

I like to go to 2-3 games a year (all sports combined) for the stadium experience. But I don't know that I'd want to be a season-ticket holder, even if they were given to me. A lot of other expenses and, as others have said, the logistical hassles of traffic, parking, concessions, etc. 2-3 games a year allows me to retain the novelty feel.

12. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

I think most teams are going to want players to know what else is happening week 17 if a playoff birth is on the line. Week 17 in 1999 had the Packers, Giants, Cowboys and Panthers all fighting for the final NFC wild card which was going to come down to point differential. I covered the Packers game and there was no doubt they knew exactly what was happening in Carolina and needed to know so that if the Panthers put up a touchdown, they knew they had to. Having two teams essentially competing with each other 1000 miles apart actually made things kind of fun though.

Draft saved Draft deleted