1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jags fans rejoice! You can watch them lose from home!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spikechiquet, Sep 30, 2014.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

FCC eliminates blackout rule.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/09/fcc_unanimously_ends_sports_bl.html

2. Someone is obviously unaware the Jags plays the Steelers this week.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Neato. Now Jags fans have another reason not to go.

Still on track for LA 2017.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I'm going to keep telling you people until you get it through your heads: the Jaguars stadium lease is about 2-3 years into a 30-year term. The lease was purposely made as iron-clad as legally possible to keep the team from moving.
    Not. Going. Anywhere.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Jaguars Schmaguars.

What I want to know is this: Does this mean that MLB Extra Innings will no longer black out the Pirates, Phillies, Orioles and Nationals around here? Because that's what I'm reading.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Aside from the "We lost money," way out, which would be litigated to hell, they could theoretically opt out of the lease and pay the penalty.

Let's say they have the option to move to LA, into a brand new stadium, with better naming rights, etc. I could easily foresee being able to project revenues that make it worth breaking a lease in Jacksonville, and say, paying $100 million to get away. Even if the revenue was a wash for that kind of move (although I don't think it would be), the franchise value (where the real money is in owning an NFL team) would probably jump at least that much.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I never quite figured out why the FCC was roped into this fill-the-seats bit. Hardly seems within that (or any) agency's purview.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Wasn't it in trade for the NFL agreeing to stay off Fridays (high school) and Saturdays (college)?

9. spikechiquet

It was also 40 years ago and the NFL had stadiums half full. Just an old law that needed to be scrubbed. The NFL sells out 99% of the time now.

10. LongTimeListener

No it doesn't.

11. spikechiquet

It's a figure of speech. Do we need a different color font for that now also?

12. LongTimeListener

But it's the crux of the NFL's resistance to changing the rule -- that ticket sales have dropped and will continue to drop as the home experience gets better. So that isn't really a figure-of-speech thing. It's the whole issue.

Draft saved Draft deleted