1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jagoff BCS power-brokers look awful criticizing Obama playoff comments

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Nov 18, 2008.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Agree, Dan. It was a bad question on 60 Minutes part. I'd rather hear Obama's thoughts on labor strife in pro sports, how would he treat the next big strike that leads to canceling games and all the financial trickle-down that entails? Should he "throw around his weight" there, as he said he'd do with the BCS? Of course that probably wouldn't generate a very snippy 5-second sound bite.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Well, um, yeah.

And when they can make the money while marching out the top teams to play exactly once, saving a bundle on expenses, and claiming that a playoff would cause more classes to be missed by the student-athletes (*chuckle*), it's an easy stance to take.

[PowerConferenceCommissioners]
    While you're at it, stop talking about these BCS busters. Even though they're also Division I-A, that's more people sharing our pie. We don't want to share our pie with any of these other scrappy schools. It's bad we have to for the NCAA basketball tournaments. We don't care about no stinking Gonzaga or Davidson.[/PowerConferenceCommissioners]

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

What if you rotate 'em? I mean, we don't have the SUper Bowl in Miami every year, so why should the Sugar or Rose be the national championship game every year? Start a rotation of the Rose, Sugar, Orange, Fiesta and maybe Peach Bowl.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

You could and would rotate them.

And they could still maintain their Bowl brand/status in this setup. Still can have their parade and pre-game festivities. I don't agree that all of that has to fall by the wayside just because they are a piece to the tournament puzzle.

And one factoid from last year's bowls. Seven of the 21 pre-Jan 1 bowl games were played at less than 80% capacity from an attendance perspective. Nine total if you add in the Gator and International Bowls. Not exactly what I would call an unmitigated success.

And if you work the bowls into a 16 team playoff, instead of getting under 2.5 TV ratings for games like the Sun and Independence, they probably double or triple those numbers if that's a first round playoff game.

Years from now, people will look back on the current arrangement and find it almost incomprehensible it existed. And for that long.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Boom.

Nail. Meet. Hammer.

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

The system would change in about 10 minutes after a coach whose team gets screwed just says, "We'll decline our BCS invitation this year. We'd rather go play in the Sun Bowl."

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Probably won't ever happen. The coaches get paid extra bonus money for reaching the best bowls.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted