1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jacques Demers, Senator

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 2, 2009.

1. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

It's Linda Frum's appointment that galls me.

Funny, Harper with all his bleating about an elected Senate and he puts David Frum's untalented sister on the payroll. And Demers is a joke in the position, even more so than the Big M (which was really bad to start with).

o-<

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

The guy was outstanding when he coached the Blues in the 1980's when they were, truly, a shoe-string franchise.

Although, I wonder if Demers will get the Canadian Senate whipped up into shape for the first two years he is working with them before they quit listening to him and he, eventually, has to leave. That has been the pattern...

3. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

"I've worked so hard these last four years to improve my reading and writing. All of a sudden, they name me senator."

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/2009/08/27/10636721-cp.html

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Strive high kids, strive high.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

There's no term for a Senator. Once named, you're there until you're 75 at which point they put you out to pasture.
    The exception is if you don't show up for two Parliamentary sittings in a row, then you get turfed.

I doubt he will be whipping anything into shape over there. It's pretty much a ceremonial and mostly irrelevant institution.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Actually, he's probably advocating literacy. :D

7. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Duly noted. :). Pardon my lack of literacy. FOF, the entire body is a joke...it's a political pasture. No credentials required.
    But Demers is a passionate guy. If the title "Senator" gives his a platform from which to preach the importance of literacy and the value of character in overcoming adversity and working hard to achieve, then it's not the worst appointment he could make.

Draft saved Draft deleted