1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jacobs Field = Progressive Field

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jan 11, 2008.

1. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

Well, at least that explains why Progressive had to lay off 7 percent of its IT workforce six weeks ago... Needed to clear some room in the budget to put their name on a baseball stadium.

Seriously, though, I wonder if there's any kind of risk for a company in doing a naming deal for a stadium with a well-known name. Some buildings bounce around from one corporate sponsor to another, but that's not the case here. Doesn't Progressive run at least a small risk of getting the negative stigma of being "the jerks who ruined the name of our stadium"?

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The PD today refers to Progressive founder and owner Peter B. Lewis as a billionaire/philanthropist. Why the slash? He can't be billionaire philanthropist Peter B. Lewis? (Oh, and in that blog posting, he is millionaire/philanthropist. He got a raise overnight!)

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I heard Webby has a stake in Indianapolis' new Lucas Oil Stadium.

4. Jacobs Field wasn't named "in honor" of Dick Jacobs or the Jacobs family. It was named Jacobs Field because he ponied up the naming rights. It has ALWAYS been a corporate-named stadium; it just has a friendlier ring to it than most.

This is not a big deal to me. At least the Indians got a local company. Progressive Field doesn't roll off the tongue, but it's not bad.

And I agree with my friend, a native Clevelander, who NEVER referred to it as "the Jake," which he thought was a stupid Chris Bermanization of the stadium.

(stepping off soap box)

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Maybe this means IU's (Richard) Jacobs School of Music will become the Progressive School of Music. Forget the Tuba Santas -- this year it's Emerson, Tuba and Palmer!

6. TheSportsPredictor

So HE'S the one who didn't call it that! I always wondered who it was.

7. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Who gives a shit what a stadium is named? I don't get the outrage.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I am glad they changed. As a big fan and supporter, I have for years been trying to buy a Jacobs as a show of support and couldn't find one anywhere.

9. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Dick Cheney and his posse will just call it Liberal Field, anyway.

10. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

I went to the first opener at Jacobs Field, and after the cow pasture of Municipal Stadium, I marveled at the lush green grass.
    Over the loudspeakers..."Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends, we're so glad you could attend, come inside, come inside..."
    ELP has had a special place in my heart since then.

11. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

Oh my god, thank you. I've been trying to figure out who did that maddening tune forever. It's played on the Indians' flagship station all the time.

12. TheSportsPredictor

Yeah, thanks, that explains that -- I never knew it!

Draft saved Draft deleted