1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jacksonville cuts (again!)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PBOWKER, Aug 27, 2011.

1. PBOWKER

PBOWKER Member

More downsizing at rapidly falling Florida Times-Union (39 jobs, plus):

http://jacksonville.com/business/2011-08-25/story/times-union-cut-costs-eliminate-positions

T-U story says Morris lost $1.2 million in Q2, which means this might also be hitting other Morris papers. Thoughts out to all those affected. Not sure about any, or how many, in sports.

-- Victim of 2008 T-U giant layoff

2. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

As a T-U alum (several times over), my thoughts are with the folks on Riverside Ave.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

As Live once said, pain lies on the Riverside. Just not in the boardroom.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'm an alum, too, and thoughts for everybody there. I don't know if sports can get much smaller, though.

5. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

How many people are left in sports?

6. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

I interned news side at the T-U several years ago, learned more in three months there than I have anywhere else combined. I owe my career to the editors there. My heart goes out, stay safe down there everyone.

7. joe

joe Active Member

My fiancee, the former food writer in 2008-09, got out before the ax fell. That's after taking a 7.5 percent pay cut three months after being hired. We're in a much better position these days, but still, fuck Morris with a splintered piece of creosote-soaked wood.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Do we have any names of anyone in sports?

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

They haven't cut yet.

10. Former T-U alum here, too. Love that place and wish everyone the best of luck.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm told it was three in sports. I was not given names.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The lack of names leads me to believe the three lost didn't include any writers.

Draft saved Draft deleted