1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jackson's death - Absolutely 1A story?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 25, 2009.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

You're preaching to the choir, lad. :) ... Just noting that once you take that intractable stance, there's no real arguing against it. It's bulletproof stupidity. It's not technically "local" and that becomes that.

2. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Absolutely, without question a 1A story. Should be the CP most places.

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I'm not an MJ fan by any means but if I subscribed to a paper that put this on the inside somewhere, I'd cancel my subscription because clearly they don't know what they're doing.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'm going to your paper's website and mocking them in the morning.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Inky, there are a certain number of Pittsburgh Steelers and two Pittsburgh Penguins who would push this off of the center of A1 if they suddenly died, and this is only in the Pittsburgh metro area.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'll send you the link.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

On a secondary tangent - if I'm a politician who has or is having a fling, I disclose it right now in a press release.

8. schiezainc

Yep. Hell, OJ could admit he killed Nicole right now and no one would notice for three weeks.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

At a small daily paper such as mine, the intersection of people who:

1) Subscribe to the paper
    2) Care about Michael Jackson's death
    3) Won't already know everything they want to know about it from other sources by the time our paper comes out.

is very small. Local does rule.

10. schiezainc

Your paper's job should be to cover the day's top stories. End of story.

I'm not saying you've got to make it the only thing you cover but to not find room for this is ridiculous.

I'm sure most of your readers weren't personally affected by 9/11, and got their info from other places but did you shuttle this inside in favor of a picture of Bonnie McBride's apple farm as well?

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That's just not true everywhere. The days of a small paper, especially one with a larger regional paper in the area, trying to be the sole source of all news are dead and gone.

It'll get in somewhere. But again, nobody buys this podunk press for that sort of news.

Everybody was affected by 9/11. Our country went to war over. That's a massive analogy fail.

12. schiezainc

The day it happened, the only people who were personally affected were those who lost their lives or had family members who lost their lives or were in NY.

Draft saved Draft deleted