1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jackson's death - Absolutely 1A story?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 25, 2009.

1. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

One of the best SEs I know keeps telling me, "News is what people are talking about."
    Think they're talking about this?

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, schiez, it's going to be that whole "local" vs. "non-local" argument, which is one you really can't counter, oddly enough. If they insist that only local matters on their front page, you just throw up your hands and say, "Um, OK then."

3. A1. Above the fold. No exceptions.

Who cares what you did with Elvis.

This isn't the f-ing Supreme Court. You aren't bound by the idiot mistakes of the past.

4. You read my mind. I'm definitely going to have my parents grab the P-T and the Times of Northwest Indiana tomorrow.

5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Local vs. non-local is a non-issue here. There isn't a person in this country who is not affected by this story in some way, shape or form.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Forget about the "news" factor - do you think ABC and NBC would have scheduled special Farrah specials tonight if that show NBC aired a few weeks back didn't deliver NBC's best 10 p.m. ratings in years?

7. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Right now, it's the most popular story on our Web site and we just redid the 1A plan to make it a centerpiece. I cannot imagine that this is not a big story almost everywhere. You can argue about placement on the page, depending on where you're at but it should definitely be on 1A.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Well, I fired off an e-mail to the ME. I called the decision to shove it inside "the dumbest in the history of this newspaper."

So my next new thread might be about getting fired.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Oh, biggest story in the world, not just the USA.

10. schiezainc

Anything short of a terrorist attack and/or presidential death gets underplayed by this. Period. End of story.

11. schiezainc

If your ME puts this story inside, you're going to get fired someday anyway. People in charge this idiotic are just going to run your rag into the ground.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I would have just sent him or her cnn.com abc.com cbs.com nypost.com...

Draft saved Draft deleted