1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jackson's death - Absolutely 1A story?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Is this a no-brainer? Or can smaller papers get away with putting this on Features?

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

What story would possibly be bigger?

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Dude, with all the play that Farrah Fawcett story has been getting? She's been dying for a month.

This is HUGE and out of nowhere. It's the only story anyone will want to read in the paper tomorrow.

4. Inky_Wretch

I'm not disagreeing. Hell, I was just in the newsroom campaigning for it on 1A.

But if you're a local, local paper could a case me made for someplace other than 1A? I don't know.

5. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

No-brainer.

MJ joins Farrah and McMahon to complete the dead pool trifecta

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Should be, and probably will be in my local Tribune paper because of the cycle, but I'm unfortunately not kidding when I say it's not 100 percent and that I wouldn't be totally shocked to see a lead story about some subject like how things are going for local consumers a couple of weeks after the switchover from analog to digital TV.

I wish I were kidding. Unfortunately, I'm not.

But I don't think even they will underplay this.

7. Inky_Wretch

As I posted in the main thread on S&N, a longtime staffer tells me this paper has never put a celebrity death on 1A. Not Sinatra, not even Elvis.

8. TheSportsPredictor

If you're that idiot paper that didn't even put Obama winning the presidential election on Page 1, yes.

If you're legit, no. No chance. None. Absolutely none. I cannot stress this enough. Zero. Zero chance. Nil. None. Negativo. Zilch. This is the No. 1 story on every paper in the world.

9. If you're one of those dumbass papers that left Obama off the front after the election, maybe you make this mistake. Otherwise, no f'n way.

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Yes.

No doubt about it. There was a time when Michael Jackson was the greatest entertainer/performer on the planet.

And, given all his recent troubles, weirdly compelling strangeness and gawking-causing child molestation allegations and court cases, his interesting family back-story and the Jackson 5's influence on the music industry -- all on top of the fact that Michael Jackson was still youngish, and that this death was shocking in its unexpectedness, this is a no-brainer.

11. TheSportsPredictor

Just heard Dateline is doing a special episode on his death tonight.

From 9 til 11.

If you're paper is not putting it on A1, your paper is led by morons.

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Welll, as long as they're connected to the interests of their readership. ::)

Draft saved Draft deleted