1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jackson, Tenn. sports reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by In Cold Blood, Nov 8, 2007.

1. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

Company: The Jackson Sun
    Position: Sports reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: December 12, 2007
    Job ID: 850737

Description:
    The Jackson Sun, a 35,000 circulation daily in West Tennessee, seeks a sports writer to cover its college and minor league baseball beats. The Jackson area is home to seven colleges and hosts the annual NAIA Division I Women's Basketball Championship. Jackson colleges have won the championship the last three seasons. Jackson is also home to the West Tenn Diamond Jaxx, a AA affiliate of the Seattle Mariners. This position also helps on the desk occasionally. The Sun's sports section was an APSE top 10 daily in 2006 and a top 10 Sunday in 2005. It regularly wins awards in state writing contests. Experience at a daily newspaper required; will consider a grad with extensive internship work. Page design experience preferred but not required. To apply, send a cover letter, resume and writing and page design clips to executive editor Steve Coffman at scoffman@jacksonsun.com or 245 W. Lafayette St., Jackson, Tenn. 38301.

Any thoughts? Isn't this the place that's been looking for a sports editor for some time now?

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Been looking for an SE for ages. Looks like that's a new EE new.

I'd stay away.

3. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Didn't they fill this spot a couple of months ago? Guess it isnt so hard to believe that it would be open again. Or more likely they just never bothered to fill it, like the SE spot.

4. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I guess no one likes the bell and whistles of Jackson, or the possibility of covering minor league baseball and the like. Is the area bad? Paper being shafted by the mother company? Not enough gyms in the area?

5. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Jackson is the corporate home of Cracker Barrel. For whatever that's worth.

EDIT: My bad. Cracker Barrel's HQ is in Lebanon, Tenn., rather than Jackson. So the streets will not be paved in hashbrown casserole and the rivers will not flow with sausage gravy. Sorry. :'(

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

No offense, man, but did you read the latest Jackson thread? It was a pretty popular one.

8. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

That staff has to be going crazy right now. Plus, with belts tightening at the end of the year, it wouldn't be a big surprise if this stayed open all year and they waited till January so the new hires would go on next year's budget. Likely what they're doing with the SE gig.

9. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Wait, so they <i>still</i> don't have an SE? Wow.

Nothing like taking a job and having no idea whatsoever who your boss will be. Eek.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I once went in somewhere without knowing who my new boss would be, after hearing that the desk chief had "resigned." (Later found out he was fired, first lie that I was fed.)

I never, ever, ever, ever will do it again.

I suggest you take my advice.

11. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I had heard they brought someone in a couple months back. Apparently he wasn't too impressed, because I'm positive he was more than qualified for the gig.

12. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Didn't catch that one. Maybe I was in between sets or something. I guess not knowing your boss would be a bad thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted