1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jackson Five to reunite

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Herbert Anchovy, Nov 27, 2007.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Or a switch.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Awesome.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I would love to see it, but I also doubt they'll get the big payday they want, with so many groups targeting that same demographic (cough, Stones and others, cough) holding on and going to the well one too many times.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

I guess it is the same demo (over 40 and willing to fork over well into the three figures to see a show) but I don't see the Stones and the Jackson 5 competing for the same fan. I see the Jackson 5 getting more of a Lite FM crowd.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Me, too, but I used the Stones since they're the first example that came to mind.

You have two factors at work:
    1. People are fed up with these reunion tours, as noted by the glut of tickets on the market for The Police tour in some stops.
    2. The Jackson Five broke up a quarter-century ago, whereas many of these older groups (save The Police and some others) never stopped touring/recording.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Not to get bogged down in semantics, but weren't they called "The Jacksons" rather than "The Jackson 5" on that last tour in 1984? Because with the addition of Randy, they were six, not five.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

The more I think about it, the more I think you're right. But I don't think a Jackson Five failure would spell doom for the rest of the fogey touring industry.

Presuming MJ is involved--and why wouldn't he be--ticket prices will be comically insane. And as you noted, the group hasn't toured together in 25 years (Gawd that makes me feel old). Their last tour is famous only for bankrupting the Sullivans and forcing them to sell the Patriots. And they've had three top 10 hits in the last 30 years.

I think MJ could still fill arenas because he's got a giant catalogue of hits and people want to see him act like a flake. But I don't sense anyone's musical life is incomplete because they haven't seen The Jacksons tour.

This would be a bomb.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

That's right! I forgot, we can blame Michael Jackson (at least indirectly) for Zeke Mowatt and Victor Kiam!

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

And Bill Belichick cheating. Don't forget that!

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And soccer.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I. Love. Football on TV.
    Shots of Gina Lee.
    Party with my friends.
    And TWINS

Draft saved Draft deleted