1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jackson Clarion-Ledger stops covering Jackson State

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 19, 2015.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

For annual freelance gig, I have some dealings with an HBCU.

I say dealings, in eight years, they have never replied to an e-mail or called me back or have an updated website. I think this year's still had 2012 loaded.

Anything I glean comes from the conference and other schools as they all know that nothing will be coming from the HBCU.

For that I am grateful but it is absolute nonsense.

Things have changed because of staff reductions but at the C-L, Jackson State was always the beat you stuck the new guy on and if he could survive a year without going insane, then you moved him or her to something else because you don't want to punish your good people with their horseshit.

So a long line of total nonsense is an apt way of describing.

If anything, Jackson State just gave them an excuse to be done with them.

I get the impression though that they are still covering games, just not the daily coverage.

If that's wrong, please correct.

Batman likes this.
  2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

From what the SE said in reader comments, they're covering Alcorn State this weekend. Presumably MVSU gets a turn if this keeps up.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Next weekend. Alcorn has a bye this week.
    They'll actually do well with that switch. Alcorn has about as large an alumni and fan base as Jackson State and is much better these days, which means its fans are dying for coverage.

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I remember an HBCU in which the way several employees found out they lost their jobs when the locks were changed to the office while they were on Christmas break.

5. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

Not to pile on HBCUs, but in the pre-internet days, at one of the schools we cover, the SID got the media guide out in time for, as I recall, the last or next to last game. Having said that, the HBCUs in our area now have good SID offices and are very timely and helpful.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Dealing with some HBCUs can be difficult. I equate it to working a prep beat. However, the problem that I've found is that many HBCU's DON'T know how to properly deal with the media. One reason, in my opinion, is a natural distrust. another reason, and perhaps a key reason, is that many local media covering HBCU's don't take the time to develop a relationship. The media would rather complain instead of telling the HBCU's what they need to do a proper job. Communication could solve some problems.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I will say this, when Sam Jefferson was SID at Jackson State, they were great to deal with. It's obviously gone to hell since he retired around 12-13 years ago.

8. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Skipping homecoming at an HBCU will send a message or at least it would have back in the day.

Now, I'm not so sure.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If you need the media to tell you that the football media guide needs to be done before senior day, you are a lost cause.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

dixie, you've been around the block enough to know what I'm talking about. There are some who really want to do a good job but don't know how. And I agree, if you need the media to tell you that the football media guide needs to be done before senior day, you are a lost cause.

12. H-Dale08

H-Dale08 Member

Draft saved Draft deleted