1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jackie Mac smashes one

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GBNF, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Nothing seemed wasted. Everything fit. The Lewis in Seattle stuff was introduced and then mentioned later with him in Orlando and didn't seem forced. Good insight into how these three stars with huge egos have meshed. Just well done and well reported.

2. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Although I thought it was well-written and an interesting story, it bothered me she referred to Ray Allen several times as "Ray." Why is she able to get away with this? I don't like it.

3. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

I didn't mind it. Adds a human element to the story. And although I don't think he was mentioned, it helps avoid confusion with fellow Celtic Tony Allen.

4. awriter

awriter Active Member

I also think it worked in this case because she's showing the readers who he is. It's not about his numbers, it's about him.

5. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I get that, but I think it would work just as well using "Allen." Hell, every young writer who reads this story will probably start trying to use first names. When I was the sports editor in college, I spent a lot of time tying to break the habit of young writers using first names as opposed to last. It's not really a big deal for her to do it, but I don't care for it.

6. awriter

awriter Active Member

99.9 percent of the time I would absolutely agree with you. But in this case, it works. As for young writers, I would also try to break them out of the habit of using first names. Jackie Mac is good enough to know when to break that rule.

7. Bears00

Bears00 Member

Loved it all except the last paragraph.

8. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Great stuff...just loved the variety of quotes.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Its a short list of better feature writers than Jackie Mac. She is good at all sports but her work with the Celtics has always been her strong suit.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Good stuff. But it bears mentioning ...

(In the next-to-last graph on the second page)
    Allen's mantra is that you must walk, talk, eat, and dress as though you are the best.

In the third graph of the piece, Allen uses "could care less."

It's "couldn't care less." I know Ray is a sharp guy. But oops!

11. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Two things struck me: Jackie never lets herself get in the way of a good story. Others might have used experts' psychobabble to explain OCD (though that could be a sidebar), or bogged the piece down with overwrought emotion and wordplay. She let vivid descriptions and quotes carry it.
    And her long, professional relationship with the Celtics opened the doors. Players clearly trust her. I can't imagine any reporter getting close enough to, for instance, a Knicks player who might be willing to share such a personal story. The organization would never allow it, and that's everyone's loss.

Draft saved Draft deleted