1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jackie Mac smashes one

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GBNF, Apr 25, 2008.

1. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Simmons linked to this in his new column:

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2008/04/20/routine_excellence_is_allens_secret/?page=5

An awesome, awesome feature - drops from 100% to 98% at the end - but the ease in which she converses with the Celtics is amazing. Some fantastic quotes.

I would've closed with the Lewis thing, myself, though.

All in all an A+ effort.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Thought she was leaving. Is it an at-the-end-of-the-Celtics-playoff-run sort of exit?

3. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

The feature is fantastic...you're absolutely right about the connection she's clearly established with these guys. The stuff from Nate McMillan and Rashard Lewis was also a nice addition.

4. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I was being a bit sarcastic...I forgot the blue font

5. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Apologies. I've edited my post and considered switching to decaf.

6. -Scoop-

-Scoop- Member

Awesome read, and some quality quotes from Pierce and KG.

7. awriter

awriter Active Member

Great story. I might have ended it with the Pierce quote. But great read.

8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Picked it up at Logan during the Boston/Montreal series. Kept it because this feature was so good. What terrific stuff.

9. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Channeling JGMacG,

What made this so good?

My idea: Not only did she get fantastic quotes and include great color, but she actually told the story. I shudder to think of the great stuff she left on the cutting-room floor. Her use of quotes was so good. Just, wow.

That's a tool for us young writers to learn: I still try to include EVERYTHING, even when I don't necessarily have to. Guess you learn that along the way.

10. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

for my mileage, it's just not the quotes, it's the number of voices, the reporting that went into it. she didn't settle for quotes from celtics only. she had quotes from portland, seattle and orlando and picked up more anecdotes along the way. always another interview, always another phone call.

11. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Very, very well said. Thanks Funk

12. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

I been schooled

Draft saved Draft deleted