1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jackie Bradley JR

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

As David Cone asked on broadcast, when can we drop the "jr"
    and start calling him Bradley?

It's a good question.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

As a junior myself, I never understand the infatuation with tagging these guys junior all the time. I can see Dale Earnhardt Jr. in the early days, and maybe even today, but that's a rare exception. No one is going to think you are talking about the father if the son is currently a pro athlete and you are describing his actions.
    And on a related note, the "Jr." modifies the first name, not the last. I too often see Bradley Jr. or something similar. That is not correct. He is Jackie Jr. but just Bradley. Some of these guys even have LAST NAME JR. on their jerseys. And always should be just Bradley on second reference. /rantover

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Don't call me Junior.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Sometimes it's necessary.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Indeed. Another rare exception.

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Isn't it entirely possibly he keeps the junior to honor his father and the name?

7. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Of course. I have a LOT of pride in my name, but I don't need to be called Jr. at every turn. I understand this is why they put the names on the jerseys, and I'm OK with that, but I don't really like the improper and unnecessary usage of it.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

But as to my initial post, technically it should be R. GRIFFIN III. The designation doesn't modify the last name, dammit! :)

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Robert Griffin the Third drops back to pass......

You got to hand it to Jackie Bradley Jr's parents. They gave him
    a major league name that announcers love to say.

I remember the first time Bob Shepard announced Johnny Damon's
    name as a Royal rookie. Always thought it was star quality and he lived
    up to it.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It's one thing if the guy's dad played and you need the suffix, but most times it's just narcissism.

Look at Florida State's football roster. They've got like six guys listed as "Jr.," "III" or "II."

http://www.seminoles.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/fsu-m-footbl-mtt.html

Only Mario Edwards Jr., whose dad played at FSU and in the NFL, has a well-known dad.

(It's worth nothing that in almost every case, the player in question is African-American. This seems to be a subtle way to say "my dad stuck around and is involved in my life," similar to the way married LPGA players hyphenate their last names so you'll read between the lines that they're straight).

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

In our shop, Jr. is sometimes used, but only if the Sr. was actually famous in their own right. Like JFK and Dale Earnhardt. Robert Griffin III is plain old Robert Griffin here.

Draft saved Draft deleted