1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jackass 3D

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bob Cook, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I really have no desire to explain to my 4-year-old, "Why is Steve-O being shot into the air while sitting on the potty?"

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Just imagine the lack of desire you'd have to explain why Chris Pontius is playing baseball with his junk.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Same here. The Jackass franchise has been around for more than a decade, so they had to know what they were going to see. How clueless/irresponsible can you be?

4. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Probably the same people who brought their kids to The Passion of The Christ.

5. Mizzougrad96

That's defensible (but barely). Same for the parents who take their kids to see R-rated cartoons like South Park.

I would argue that taking your kid to see Jackass is the worst thing you could take them to see because you know they're going to want to try those stunts later. I'd rather show my kids a snuff film.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

There were a lot of 8-10 year old kids in the theater when I went, too. I remember one sequence in particular--the words "3D" and "dildo" come to mind--and I thought "what in the hell must these 9-year olds be thinking right now? What about their parents?"

It's rated R for a reason. At least wait until they're 13 or 14.

But yes, my amazing wife went with me on opening night, and I thought it was hilarious. That crew sure is entertaining.

7. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I saw the hour-long special -- I guess more of a promo -- for the film on MTV last week. First time I'd watched MTV in a long time, but they showed a lot of footage that hadn't ever been screened before from the early days of the TV show. So a lot of it was just behind-the-scenes stuff, or mild stunts, but it was interesting to really see how much they all seem to enjoy it and really feel quite fortunate to get to do what they do. I think their friendship/camaraderie and likeability is a huge part of the success of the franchise.

8. Mizzougrad96

The best thing that group has going for them is they are as likable as you can get. That's a huge reason why this franchise is such a goldmine.

Based on the weekend's returns, I would expect No. 4 in about two years.

9. Mizzougrad96

I met Bam Margera at a Super Bowl several years back. He was doing the whole press tour to promote (I think) one of the energy drinks. I was doing radio and the host and I were pissed when we were told we had to talk to him, because we already had a really crazy schedule and this had zero to do with football.

Nicest guy ever.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

On a related note, I went with my 13-year-old and his buddy.

As for No. 4, I wonder if physically these guys will be up to it. Johnny Knoxville is pushing 40, and some of the others can't bounce back as much as they probably did 10 years ago. I'm sure, though, there will be a "Jackass 3.5" of outtakes for video, just like there was Jackass 2.5.

By the way, an unstated subplot is that for the first time in a long while, Steve-O is doing his stunts sober.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'd say 2014, Mizzou. The first three were four years apart, I believe: 2002, 2006, 2010.

12. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Agree with the sentiment on the camraderie of the guys. Knoxville really seems to care about Steve-O.

Draft saved Draft deleted