1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jack and Hill

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by buckweaver, Mar 2, 2008.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

"There's nothing on this earth sexier than a woman who you have to salute in the morning."

Jack Nicholson and Rob Reiner uploaded a video on YouTube this morning, with a collage of Nicholson's movie characters endorsing Hillary Clinton for president. :D

AP story about it here: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080302/ap_on_el_pr/jack_s_vote_5

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I'm a fan of Jack's, on-screen, but must note he's long been a Fidel aficionado, as well.

3. Gee, not content to mingle with the Arkansas Project, the anti-HRC folks now move along to red-baiting her supportters.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That's not red-baiting, although it almost shifted the focus away from Ben's point... He was calling the guy out for making nice to a dictator who kept his people subjugated. Nicholson flew there, met with Castro, met with leaders of the Cuban film industry and then had a grand old time... local restaurants, jazz clubs, visits to cigar factories. He said he was greatly impressed with the country and with Castro, who he described as "a genius." No mention of the fact that the luxuries Nicholson was treated to during his visit are off-limits to 98 percent of Cuban citizens. Nicholson should be ashamed of himself for making like the ugly American and then allowing himself to be a PR tool, when millions of the Cuban people stuck living there without the royal treatment Nicholson gets when he jets in, sleep outside when it it is too hot because they have no electricity to power fans.

5. Gee, unusual circumstances for the Third World. I'll remember this the next time a guy with any real power holds hands with, say, a Saudi prince.
    And with this, my part of this the threadjack ends.
    Video's cool.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, Ragu, do you think there might be a few less Cubans sleeping outside today if the central focus of our Cuba policy over the last 50 years had not been trying to destroy their economy by embargo and other means?

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I haven't seen him in a while - man did he get old.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Please . . . pro-Obama, and wish HRC a long, happy career in the Senate.

9. Noticed that at the Oscars.
    It's finally catching up with him.
    I was hoping he'd be immune.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Nope. I don't. You make it sounds like Cuba is the 51st U.S. state, and we owe it to the country to provide a level of welfare to help make up for a dictator that has plundered what resources they had and kept the population living in greater poverty than necessary. Castro has been the country's problem. Not the U.S. Whatever effect the U.S. embargo has had has been offset by other countries that trade with Cuba on favorable terms that no one else enjoys. Russia subsidized Castro for years. Do you take that into account? And now other countries, such as Venezuela do. Do you take that into account?

Out of curiosity, do you think there should be a few less Cubans sleeping outside today, when the cost of energy, which is what most hammers economies, including ours, is being subsidized to ridiculous levels by a country that has a ton of oil and is giving Cuba favorable, below-market terms, in order to try to boost their economy?

One reason Castro always gave for the electricity problems was that oil was so expensive... Yet, Hugo Chavez has virtually been giving Venezuelan oil to Cuba... I don't know the exact prices, but the price of a barrel in Cuba is less than half of what it is the U.S. thanks to Chavez subsidizing the Cuban economy out of his pocket. Yet even with that advantage that no one else enjoys, millions of Cubans still live without electricity.

Could it possibly just be that Castro has not done right by his people?

11. I decline to speak for the Cuban people. Americans have been doing that, to their great detriment, for over 100 years and it's been a prime reason why there hasn't been a popular rising against Castro.
    Other people would profit from this sort of discretion.
    And, Randian morning affirmations aside, it isn't what this thread is about.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Since Hillary is so concerned with human rights maybe she will not accept Jack's endorsement -- given his close association with Castro.

Draft saved Draft deleted