1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

J-school prof sends inappropriate messages to student, resigns

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by franticscribe, Nov 18, 2010.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

If she was 21 and under, it would have been a crime in my state.

Law here says that any educator, college or high school, cannot have a relationship with a student at their school if they are 21 or under.

Consenting adult or not.

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I would consider a First/Fourth/Fourteenth Amendment challenge to such a law.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

To expound, criminalizing private consensual sex between two adults violates the defendant's constitutional right to privacy (this was essentially the holding in Lawrence v. Texas striking down the arrest of a gay couple under a statute that made consensual sodomy a crime) and his right to freedom of assembly. Also, if a law really criminalized any relationship between students who have reached the age of majority and their teachers it violates their right to marry.

Fire a teacher for such conduct? Sure. Criminalize it? Nope.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Really? You have THAT little self control for it to be one of the reasons you'd never teach?

5. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Kind of like a certain 41-year-old quarterback with a former Florida State co-ed/NY Jets team employee. Disgusting.

Cold showers would be a small price to pay for an awesome salary like that. How hard is it to be faithful to your marital vows and not be a pig?

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

There you go ... that's what the law says (I would assume). I'm a univ. prof in Texas, and the policy (don't know about the law) is similar. Naturally you can be fired for sexual harrassment, but even if it's consensual -- sheesh, even if it's with a student in another program across campus -- its verboten and can lead to termination.

8. it's hard

it's hard for a lot of people

life is hard

9. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Men and women have been leaving around written records of their affairs since paper was invented. Wasn't that one of the minor points of Dangerous Liasons - I think - that a character did a classy thing by returning a woman's love letters?

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Against the rules and against the law are two different things.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In his defense, mock turtlenecks are not so easy to find.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Is that a law or a school policy?

Draft saved Draft deleted