1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

J-school prof sends inappropriate messages to student, resigns

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by franticscribe, Nov 18, 2010.

1. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/11/18/810363/unc-faculty-member-resigns-over.html

Also some interesting coverage from the new student news organization he was leading can be found here:

http://reesenews.org/2010/11/17/reesenews-director-monty-cook-resigns/5918/

2. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Poor guy. The curse of the midlife crisis strikes again. Shoulda just bought a sports car... or confined his targets to "consenting adults."

3. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Goddammit, Carolina. Enough already.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He was making $135,000 for that shit? Wow.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You would think when she decided to major in journalism, she was only getting screwed once.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

This is one of the reasons I would not leave the actual journalism world for the ivory tower to each. I lecture twice a year in a TV news class and, let's just say the scenery can be... "target rich". Ugh.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

For that kind of dough, I'd take the cash and a lot of cold showers.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I carefully say, because there's no excusing any of this, that again it doesn't fail to amaze me of all these dumb people (OK, men) doing this kind of thing in written form, either e-mail or SMS text (sometimes with photos!) or any kind of IM service, so they leave an easy-to-follow trail of their indiscretions.

Whatever you think of the morality and ethics, at least in the old days, you talked in person or on a conventional, non-digital phone, and didn't leave a written record lying around.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What kind of money would he have been making at the Baltimore Sun?

$135,000 doesn't sound like a ton of money for someone in his role at either the paper or the University.

10. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

That's a ton of money for a university lecturer. There are full professors in his department who make less than $100,000

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I probably didn't read the article closely enough. Didn't realize he was just a lecturer, not a full fledged professor.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Maybe he sent her a message that said, "you're totally fucked if you pursue this as a career," and it was misunderstood?

Draft saved Draft deleted