1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

J-Ratz turns 80

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Football_Bat, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/world/story.html?id=c30a0267-6487-4df2-87d3-2c79bfbfddf8&k=77439

Happy birthday, Pope.

2. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

My first thought was, "John Ratzenberger is 80?!? Man, he looked younger than 60 when he was on 'Cheers.'"

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

"wha, wha, whaddya mean 80? It's a little known fact he's no older than 60..."

[​IMG]

4. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

My thought exactly! I was floored.

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Do you think we'll ever have a youngster wearing the flowing robes, someone maybe in their late 40s or early 50s who might stick around for 25 or 30 or 35 years?

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Isn't this pope basically a set-up man for a younger, more qualified candidate in the wings?

7. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

the flowing robes ... striking

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Pixar dies more than a little with that passing.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They just had that with JPII, who was a very healthy 57 when he took office -- who knows how much toll the assassination attempt took on his health.

There is some thinking among the hierarchy that they don't want popes staying in office 25-30 years, because that makes one single person too influential on the direction of the entire instituiton (although a lot of them think that's a real good thing).

And yes, Benedict is clearly a short-termer. He's had some health problems that don't indicate a really long life expectancy. They knew when they elected him they probably wouldn't get a papacy of more than 5-7 years.

Just wait for Pope George Ringo I. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted