1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

J.P. Morgan Chase taking flight!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Diabeetus, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Video: http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=3906861&cl=12619225&ch=4226720&src=news

J.P. Morgan Chase received $25 billion in bailout money. They cut dividends and laid off thousands of employees. Things must be rough, right?

Well, depends on how you look at it. Their chairmen bought two $60 million planes, even though they already had four top-of-the-line jets. The new jets required a new hanger, apparently, and that ran the company another $18 million. But it will be, according to the architects, "the premier aircraft hangar on the east coast." It will even have its own vegetable roof garden. Total cost for the project: $138 million.

Jamie Dion, the company CEO, said he "couldn't understand why corporate America has such a bad image."

Fucking. Incredible.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Neither could Richard Whitney.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . before they slapped the cuffs on him.

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

It'd be nice to see something similar happen to these crooks.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Was hoping it's a step in the right direction. But there's no one with the stones of Thomas Dewey to go after him.

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

A fireplace poker must be heated to a white-hot state and inserted rectally in this fucker. Repeatedly. Then he shall be hung by the scrotum from the Washington Monument, pour l'encouragement d' les autres.

Today. Drag him from his bed and carry out the sentence, bailiff.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

So, if Chase goes under, do I have to pay my car payment?

8. tommyp

tommyp Member

I've been wondering why Chase has been pretty much untouched in this financial collapse. I bet in time, Chase will end up being the worst offenders of all. And for that, I am very glad. If any company deserves to go under, it's Chase.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Congress will just tax them at 90%. ::)

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

KYSW,

Whatever you do, I would not make a payment at a Chase branch. At least for a while -- especially if you're not a Chase account holder.

Went to one yesterday to make a payment on our van. I'm writing out my check when a chubby overly positive fellow (think the fat young guy from "Back to You") who seems intent on serving me says he'd be happy to process my payment. We walk to his desk and I see his card, which says "Personal Banker." At this point, this clever fellow realizes that my check was not a Chase check.

"Is there some reason why you're not banking with Chase?" he asked.

I tell him I like my credit union and just ask him to process my payment. He excuses himself and goes to a clerk, which is where I was going originally. He walks back with a booklet about Chase's checking plans, and tells me I can qualify for a lower interest rate on my car loan if I start a Chase checking account.

It's at that time, when another guy walks over. This one has my receipt. As he gives it to me, he says: "I noticed you didn't use a Chase check for this payment. Would you like..."

At that point, I go off. I came in to give a bank my money, not to get pressured into starting an account that I don't need.

If Chase feels used car tactics are the best way to gain new customers, then the bank is screwed.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Freelance,
    They do the same shit to me, even though I've told them no every single time.

But that's about my only option to make a payment because I've had two or three mailed payments get lost by either them or the postal service.

They never used to bother me about opening an account with them. That changed about June last year, when I was hounded whenever I stopped by a branch to make a payment.

Draft saved Draft deleted