1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

J-Dub redux

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shotglass, Apr 14, 2007.

1. RokSki

RokSki New Member

My 4th LOL of the long day. Not that I'm counting. :)

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

And that, Jason, might be the most bullshit statement you have ever written...and that includes a lot of total fucking bullshit from you.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Jason, who put the Rutgers players in the line of fire, Stringer or Imus, when he made those comments?

I still wonder how many rappers/rap songs that Whitlock condemns are in his own iPod when I think about that column.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

As much as Whitlock has mentioned rappers and lyrics and songs and albums in his columns, I have no doubt he's a big fan of rap music.

I'm still behind him 100 percent on his recent stuff. As well as LeBatard here.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

I would just like to know how Jason, the new self-appointed (and, as always, self-aggrandizing) King of Black America, knows for a fact that "vivian stringer had to explain to those players why they should be outraged."
    Which players did he speak to?
    Which families of those players did he speak to?
    Where did he get his "facts"?
    At what point during this entire fiasco did he so much as speak to anyone at Rutgers, let alone set foot on the campus and find out what actually was going on?

6. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

What I wonder about is why, if you're Stringer, you don't circle the wagons and insulate the players and throw out a string of "no comment"s and "we're worried about basketball, not some idiot on the radio"s instead of making an issue out of it.
    I'm not making a moral judgement or saying she's wrong to do it her way. Just throwing that out there.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

sticks and stones may break my bones but names....shit, can get me on every TV station in town.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I believe Kansas City has the same relationship to Rutgers (New Brunswick/Piscataway) that most other places have in regards to Tahoe . . . . .

9. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Too much publicity to turn down, IMO.

10. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Bitter Young Mat. & Piotr: :)

11. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

You know if Sharpton and Jackson are completely marginalized in the backlash that would be great.

But the fact remains that both were merely sideshow players in this story. You can't even really use the old standby bullshit dump -- "the media did it." It really comes down to the black journalists group and then YouTube, bloggers and a grassroots thing.

Anyway, accepting Jason's reporting at face value, how exactly did Stringer put her kids in harm's way? By giving them the opportunity to express themselves eloquently, in a mature and levelheaded manner?

12. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Putting them in front of us lecherous media types?

Draft saved Draft deleted