1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

J-Dub redux

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shotglass, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

You kidding me? The reaction would be worse if someone like Coach K or Rick Pitino did the same thing. The fact that no one has heard of Stringer before this works in her favor in terms of getting criticized more. I really don't see the "strong woman" thing factoring into this at all.

2. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Yes because C Vivian Stringer is facing the same issues as Martin Luther King was. People are losing sight that this whole thing was started by one irrelevant shock jock making a comment, apparently the type of comments he's made frequently through the years. This isn't some wide spread discrimination against blacks in general or the Rutgers team specifically. I haven't heard many people coming out in support of Imus' comments.

3. RokSki

RokSki New Member

My mistake for jumping on the wrong info.

4. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Never let it be said that Le Batard passes up an opportunity. He wants some of that JW 'Today' time. :)

But such considerations didn't exclude him from writing a damn fine piece for today's Herald. Dan is an excellent writer, and today's piece, IMO, only solidifies his credentials.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Far from it in my case... I've just never been a fan of hers. I don't care for her, but do enjoy Pat Summitt -- hardly the demure type.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Ever heard of a sit-down strike? Civil disobedience?

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Those aren't fighting quietly. Those are putting yourself out there for all to see, which is what is pissing people off about Vivian. Not that you would understand that.

8. RokSki

RokSki New Member

That last post was too wishy-washy and mealy-mouthed by me. Let's try that again:

I'm not a big fan of Viv's, but I think there is a lot of truth to what Sportschick is saying, from a larger perspective.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I think your point is fair, but too simple.

I think some of them have issues with strong women, some of them have issues with strong black women, some of them have issues with strong black people, and some of them simply objected to the sheer length and, let's say, loquaciousness, of some of her answers.

Maybe you know Stringer. Maybe you don't. If you've talked to her a couple times you know you're talking to somebody with an attractive passion/personality, a competitive, flourishing ego, and a person with the ability to turn a phrase or two. I think she rose to the moment, absolutely, and tried to be eloquent and impressive. I think humility would have been the better route, too, but that's based more on my Christianity than anything else. I would expected that of anyone.

From a worldly, non-religious standard, she probably moved a lot of people with her words, and made people of her gender and race very proud. I did movie/dinner with two black friends last night, the subject came up, and their lasting impressions was how terrific Stringer was, and how ugh Sharpton and Jackson were.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Excellent breakdown, agree with the Big Ragu's comment. And to answer your question, it's no.

11. Janie_Jones

Janie_Jones Member

Forgive if this has come up on one of the 117 other extant Whitlock threads, but this --

-- is just absurd. Whatever it is Whitlock thinks 50 Cent is glorifying, I'll wager Robert Johnson got there first, many moons ago. Hell, Hank Williams was pretty popular once upon a time, and I don't recall the youths of his day taking to drink, infidelity, and wanton deforestation.

12. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

BAM!

Draft saved Draft deleted