1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

J.D. Salinger RIP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NoOneLikesUs, Jan 28, 2010.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

That anecdote about the Salingers handing out pencils at Halloween was fantastic.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Spnited does that too. And his pencils have razor blades buried in them.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think what made the book remarkable was that in its time - it was a rare book that expressed a view of the teenage years that was very un-Beaver Cleaver, maybe the first that used a kid from an upper middle-class background. Reading it decades later, when other authors like a Judy Blume have come along may have diminished it's "greatness."
    A couple of other things, apparently Salinger was involved with Elaine Joyce in the 80's and his son Matthew was also in Revenge of the Nerds.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Holy shit, is that ever funny.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Substitute "hot lead" for "pencils" and I'd have dug it more.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

7. Baltimoreguy

Baltimoreguy Member

I like the contrast between the Valley News piece and the NY Times piece. Locals wouldn't talk to NY Times, and so the story becomes "Locals keep code of silence after Salinger's death." But they would talk to the local paper, and the result was a much better, richer story. Seemed like the only good stuff in the NY Times story was kind of .... suggested by the earlier, better story: the church suppers and the local store owner who gave out bogus directions, in particular.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

You hear a lot of similar stories about Harper Lee (known as "Nell" to the locals), who still lives in Monroeville, Ala., the town in which "To Kill a Mockingbird" was set (although it was called Maycomb in the book). She's anything but a recluse, and is a regular figure in the market, at church and at various other town functions. She just doesn't grant interviews, and refuses to allow herself to be photographed.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Valley News wrote a pretty good story.

http://www.vnews.com/01292010/6354574.htm

10. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Abort, Xan, abort!!!!!

11. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

D_B not only in the same thread, but only about 12 posts after .... you're better than that, Xan! :D

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I posted that while thinking of the red-headed girl with big boobs, Christina Hendricks. I was really was.

Draft saved Draft deleted