1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

J.D. Salinger lawsuit

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WaylonJennings, Jun 2, 2009.

1. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Didn't this whole practice of literary ringing-and-running get tired back in, oh, 1973? I mean, I can see the thrill in Salinger-baiting... I suppose.... but the guy's ninety. Isn't it time to give it a rest?

The only fitting coda to this is when he teeters out onto his front yard next month and publicly burns his five sequels to Catcher, all the while laughing manically.

2. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Assuming Holden Caulfield and Catcher in the Rye are copyrighted, isn't Salinger in the right here?

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

At some point, when you're as famous for being a recluse as anything you've accomplished in your life, it's just sad.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm pretty sure under American copyright law you can't use previously-copyrighted characters as basis for new works without the permission of the rightsholders, except in the case of clear satire (which appears to be the basis of the defense).

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Of course, the suit will end when the defense tries to depose the plaintiff. Recluse is a tough gig if you're gonna be consistent about it.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Reading the lawyer they have in the link, it seems a bit murkier than that.

Copyright law is always weird and hard to navigate.

7. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

They'll send Ray Kinsella to find him.

8. Went ahead and fixed that for you!

9. topsheep

topsheep Member

The wanna-be publisher of the sequel is a fraud. He really is.

10. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

OTOH, he did successfully stop the publication of some of his letters by lawsuit a while back. Not sure if he had to be deposed, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted