1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

J.D. Drew ... (maybe) not so smart after all?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Jan 18, 2007.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Over the past five seasons, Drew has 1,975 at-bats compared to 1,911 for Nixon. Drew also has a .904 career OPS (one of fewer than 25 active guys with a .900-plus OPS) compared with .844 for Nixon. And Drew is a far superior defensive player. But the Boston fans will hate that his helmet isn't nice and messy like Trot's, right? I mean you have to loud and messy to be good, right?

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I guess you missed the sarcasm.

That's what A-Rod said about Jeter in a magazine interview years ago, which apparently is akin to a big time insult for hitters. I was just funnin on here.

3. With the much bigger paycheck will come much bigger expectations for Drew than Nixon ever faced.

Red Sox fans also won't mind the laid back attitude as long as the job gets down. Bill Mueller had the "no-RAH RAH" style and he was greatly appreciated. I'm on the fence regarding Drew though.

I feel like Fox Mulder. I want to believe.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I did miss the sarcasm, though I understood what you meant with the comment about being a No. 2 hitter. I had forgotten A-Rod said that about Jeter. I'm sure that's one reason Captain Yankee likes to let his teammate twist in the wind as much as possible.

5. outofplace

Looks like Trot Nixon is no longer a fall-back option. According to ESPN.com, the Indians just signed Nixon to a one-year, $3 million deal.

6. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

Javy Lopez '03 fits this mold.

7. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Nobody's denying Drew will be good for the week or two he's healthy. Or considers himself healthy enough to play.

8. outofplace

Hey, he has managed to get over 500 at-bats two of the last three seasons.

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Next season is an odd-numbered year. Prepare for a 200-AB season.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The deal is done and it looks like Drew made the right choice, afterall. By opting out of his Dodgers deal and signing with the Red Sox he gets a raise of $9 million over the next three years. If he stays healthy he gets another $28 million over two years.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/01/26/drew_red_sox_finally_connect/

11. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

So, in the end he'll get a raise of $9 million over the next three years...

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Under the terms of the contract, if Drew goes on the disabled list in his third year for issues related to the shoulder for a proscribed length of time, the Sox have the option to void the final two years. If he winds up on the disabled list in his fourth year, the Sox have the option of voiding the final year.

Draft saved Draft deleted