1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

J.D. Drew ... (maybe) not so smart after all?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Jan 18, 2007.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Bless whomever reminded us that Baseballreference.com has Drew's most similiar player as..........Trot Nixon.

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Love those Norm quips. Keep them coming.

3. KP

KP Active Member

I didn't see that, but the entire time the Sox had their Drew hard-on, I thought that Drew = Nixon + 15% more slugging.

EDIT - That baseballreference.com page
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/d/drewj.01.shtml

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Who is this J.D. Drew you people are talking about? [/no emotion, robot-like response]

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

He's a good number two hitter.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Count me among those who can't help but find this funny. Never been a Drew fan, never will be. Pity the Red Sox fans who actually believe the sabremetrics that tell them Drew is a steal at $70 million.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hidalgo either signed or is about to sign a minor league deal with the Astros. He was going to go to camp with the Orioles last spring but "retired" either right after or right before he was supposed to report.

There is NO WAY that guy is only 31. None. He looked ancient in 2000.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Just seems like there's way more of those completely unexpected, unrealistic, video-game seasons than there used to be.

Brady in '96 is the ultimate example. Hidalgo in '00. Gonzo in '01. Bret Boone in '01. Beltre in '04.

They're all so completely out of character, and it's just the one year. I'm not even talking about performance enhancers, because the usual cast of suspects has been able to keep up their performance over a period of years. These guys don't.

I can't remember any guys who had just the one completely-out-of-character season any time in the past. The ones I can think of (Norm Cash in '61--corking, Joe Wood in '12--arm injury, Herb Score in '55/56--face injury) at least had legit (if illicit, in Cash's case) reasons for having just one outstanding season. Not sure what the answer is for the current crop of players.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Anderson and Boone are obvious roiding suspects. Boone completely fell apart the year testing began and barely made it a week with the Mets before he retired as a non-roster player last year.

Beltre just strikes me as a guy who had his career year in the nick of time.

Gonzo's 57 HRs obviously arch eyebrows, but he's still hitting for doubles at 39. I hope he's not a roider, because he seems like such a genuinely good guy.

Hidalgo had his great year because he was 29 in 2000. :D

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Wonderful. Only problem is he won't be batting second on this team, assuming the deal ever gets done. They brought him in to bat behind Ramirez. Youkilis is going to bat second, between Lugo and Ortiz.

Even though the price tag is way too high, I still like this signing. Drew is a defensive upgrade and a useful hitter. Boston's lineup could be a lot more balanced this year with Lugo at the top and Drew in the middle.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That comparison is a bit unfair to Jagr. At least he's done something in his career. Jagr's been on two Stanley Cup champions and he wasn't just along for the ride in either one. People forget what a great all-around player this guy was before he forgot how to play in his own end. Great motor. Worked his ass off. Too bad his head got too big to stay that way. He was really fun to watch.

12. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

When the Boston fanbase gets a load of Drew's I-don't-give-a-shit act, it's going to get ugly, with a capital U-G-L-Y. Don't forget, he's replacing a guy who busted his ass daily (arguably to the team's detriment, since he was damn-near always hurt).

Drew needs to keep his ass on the laid-back West Coast where his shit seems to play.

In terms of heart, Drew is a poor-man's homeless man's Jaromir Jagr.

Draft saved Draft deleted