1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

J.D. Drew ... (maybe) not so smart after all?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/01/17/drew_red_sox_continue_negotiating_contract/

Drew remains unsigned five weeks after agreeing in principle to a 5-year, $70 million contract with the Red Sox.

Apparently he and the club are at odds over injury concerns with Drew's right shoulder.

How much money again did Drew and the Baseball Antichrist, Scott Boras, leave on the table by walking away from the Dodgers?

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

That awful man Boras helped the baseball player sign a new contract that will bring him a lot more money! Everyone should be outraged! Oh, no, baseball is doomed!

Seriously, why exactly do you think Drew should have stayed in Los Angeles for less money when his contract was up and the market was on an upswing?

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If Boras can't get Drew more money than he left in LA, Drew should sue Boras for malprctice. There's no certainty that Boston will sign Drew to the previously agreed on contract, pending medical evaluation. He may end up with a heavily weighted incentive-style contract.

Unless one can actually walk on water, on a fool would claim to.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

If memory serves, Drew was still under contract with the Dodgers and had the remainder of it voided.

5. cranberry

Drew exercised his option to become a free agent. That's all. Clubs decline options all of the time. It would have been dumb not to exercise that option in this year's market.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Dumb? Let's see the contract he'll sign in 2007 before we make a judgement.

7. cranberry

Can I just post-date my "I told you so?"

8. cortez

cortez Member

Drew is a hero to the Rob Neier sabre-heads of the world. One of them was on ESPN a few weeks ago claiming that the BoSox got a steal, that Drew is not a health risk because his other injuries have been "fluky," like getting hit with a pitch, etc. I remember saying to myself "WTF?''

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Let's see. He gives up millions in guaranteed money from a contract that only one team was stupid enough to offer to try a cash-grab for even more millions because his jackass agent thinks there might be an even stupider team out there.

Ignoring the fact that he's the most brittle player on planet earth. Ignoring the fact his teammates have hated him at every stop. Ignoring the fact he's had more than 300 ABs exactly twice in the last four years. Ignoring the fact he hit a robust .286 and .283 the last two years. Ignoring the fact his power is gone.

I'll say this for him, though: He sure can draw a walk.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

"Can I draw you a beer, Norm?"

"No, I know what they look like. Just pour me one."

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Biggest bust of the winter and he hasn't even signed yet.

Book it. Drew in Boston will be a car wreck.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Exactly, which is why I want the deal to get done already. I still think Dice-K could be an enormous bust by the end of the season. There is just too much talk about him having eight pitches, which I don't believe. I think the pressure will get to both of them, especially if the Yankees are running away with the East again.

Draft saved Draft deleted