1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iverson is a (insert noun) ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Dec 13, 2006.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Keep railing on the shooting. Kobe went 8-26 last night. Everyone has bad nights.

Iverson has a career .421 FG percentage, which wouldn't be possible if he went 9-30 every night. When you're a shooter, you have 9-30 nights, but you also have 15-23 nights as well to balance it all out.

2. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Buck. I agree with the supporting cast arguement. But Walton? Please. He was a non-factor. toss DJ on that list though!

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Comparisons like that are not fair to McKie, Geiger, Barry, Mutombo. They busted their asses all season. They went to practice and helped make Phila the contender it was. That was a legitimate title contender. Had the Sixers pulled off the upset we'd a-been raving about how gutty the worker bees were in relation to Iverson. Losing doesn't tarnish their contributions.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

GB, I'm not going to say that isn't true, but I can't remember many 15-23 nights from Allen Iverson. I sure can remember 9-for-30 nights, because every time I look at a box score, it's staring back at me. So what's happening here? Did he shoot 70% his first two seasons in the league?

And I don't see how any of you can throw "Hall of Fame" around when the guy is a 9-for-30 noose around an offense's neck. That's throwing away 21 possessions a game, for God's sake.

5. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Bw beat me to it. The idea that saying Iverson's supporting cast has been garbage isn't "fair" is hilarious.

And shot, the fact is the numbers prove that AI doesn't go 9-for-30 every night. It's a pretty simple statistic, really.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

That would mean he's a 30-percent career shooter. I know he's not much above 40, but he's not that abysmal.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Actually, we should put them in the paper because they do work just as hard as the varsity team. I got one of those calls today.

8. JNEWFIFTY

JNEWFIFTY Member

Whatever you want to put his height at, find another guard that will drive into the trees in the lowpost, get hammered, make the bucket and jump right up. One of the five best players of my generation.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Then your generation sucks.

10. JNEWFIFTY

JNEWFIFTY Member

Good one guy.

11. I would love to see if Iverson could change his game with a strong supporting cast. He's a phenomenal talent, but I'm not sure if he would be willing to give up the ball.

12. JNEWFIFTY

JNEWFIFTY Member

It's going to be time soon for him to think about winning instead of stats. He may be still be in his prime, but he isn't getting any younger. How many great years does he still have?

Draft saved Draft deleted