1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iverson is a (insert noun) ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Dec 13, 2006.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Chuck T, I'm sorry, but I gotta disagree here. It's one thing to seek a trade, it's another to become a poison to a team, even if the team already sucks, and even if you've carried the team. This is the same guy who made a show of "we're talkin' 'bout PRACTICE!" Sorry, but in my mind a real professional doesn't downplay the importance of practice, or of setting a better example. But hey, it's all about what he's done, huh?

2. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

... conundrum.

3. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

So, AI is a worse person, pro and teammate than, say, Barry Sanders?

Remember, Barry was a great player on a bad team, run by bad management, which never got him a) an offensive line, b) a quarterback.

AI is/was on a team with the likes of McKie, Mutumbo and Snow. (sort of like having no quality players around on the offensive line if you're a running back).

Barry downright quit - two weeks before training camp. And the Lions got nothing in return.

AI asked for (demanded) a trade, in which, at the very least, the Sixers get something in return.

Do we all hate AI because he has dreds, tats, raps and got in a brawl at a bowling alley?

And we love Barry because he never showboated after a TD and never "demanded" a trade (or help from management) and "persevered" in Detroit?

Just throwing it out there.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Barry quit, but he practiced. He quit because that was his perogative. Quitting to retire and forfeit your contract $$$ is different than quitting on your team and still trying to collect.

The best indicator I've heard of why AI is not a championship contender is Bird and Magic cherished practice as a way to prepare to win and well, we all know AI's view.

5. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

getting steals doesn't mean you can defend. it means you are playing the passing lanes, leaving your man and gambling so you can pick off a pass to get an easy bucket and pump up your scoring average.

the first time iverson stops a player from scoring or shuts somebody down .... well, it would be the first time.

6. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

He's a 5'9 shooting guard.

7. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

exactly, so stop perpetuating the myth that he's a good defender.
    he's a talented and gifted offensive player. that is it.

8. Chuck~Taylor

Wait a second. So you're telling me that steals have nothing to do with defense?

9. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

an absolute bargain.

If I were an NBA GM, I would be making Billy King offers all day long. AI is going to play with the wrath of God when he lands on his new team. He will be rejuvenated and we would finally find out just how selfish he really is -- I'm betting that paired with at least one other very good player, we would see his passing skills come to life.

Here is a deal that works: Grant Hill (mega deal expires after this season), JJ Redick, Darko and a first round pick to Philly for AI and Kevin Ollie. AI and Dwight Howard on the same team=NBA Finals team.

10. Chuck~Taylor

I don't like that idea. [/pistonsfanboy :-\ ]

11. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

You've obviously never played, coached or watched basketball.

Getting into the passing lanes IS playing defence. It's what you do when you play man-to-man; you sag off and shade to the strong side of the floor. The better/faster you are, the more you shade and sag. In a zone, it's ALL ABOUT playing in the passing lanes.

12. boots

boots New Member

Love him or hate him, Allen Iverson is a bonafide Hall of Famer. No question about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted