1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iverson donates $100K to gun buyback program

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chuck~Taylor, Jan 17, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Good job, Iverson.

400 guns in the wrong hands might equal one or two lives in the big picture.

2. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

I'd love - LOVE - to read more of these types of blurbs in our newspapers instead of the never-ending police blotters. Shaq and Reggie Bush are throwing a party to benefit New Orleans, and barely anyone knows about the 20 or so semitrucks of supplies Shaq paid for and shipped to Katrina victims along with the bunches of apartment rents he picked up for displaced locals.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Could someone - SOMEONE - please -PLEASE - give Shaq a cookie?

All it takes for someone with 80 million in the bank to donate some money, they'll never need or see, is to make a phone call, send an email or even a text. And with these guys they just tell posse member#3 to make the call.

It's not a sacrifice if you won't miss something. So good for them that they donate but it's not a sacrifice or any work on their part.

4. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

abbott, that wasn't the point of my post, and I should've been clearer. Make no mistake, athletes are waaay more charitable than the media gives them credit for. I'm just saying this type of news never gets reported.

5. We sittin in here, I'm supposed to be the franchise player and we in here talking about guns. I mean, how silly is that? Guns?

6. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

No one said it was a sacrifice. Other than that, good point.

7. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Buybacks. We're talking about buybacks.

8. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Those with huge money have an incredible breadth of choices about what to do with it. Spinnners on the Escalade, or water to Nigeria? When people make useful choices, good for them. After all, there are TV programs that glorify those spinners, the bathroom with a small swimming pool for a bathtub, and the walk-in closet big enough to house a family of five. Why not throw a little light on money going to a good cause?

Good job, Chuck.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I think this kind of thing gets reported all the time, just not nationally. Did you know Gilbert Arenas donates $100 for every point he scores in a game to a different school, every home game of the season, ownership pledges the same amount for road games. NBow that he's injured and not playing, I think he makes the same donation but for every point the team scores.

Agents and PR folks send their clients charitable contributions as press releases all the time.

Draft saved Draft deleted