1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iverson doc

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, May 18, 2015.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Did anyone catch the Iverson documentary on Showtime over the weekend? I thought it was pretty well done. It was also interesting to follow Kent Babb's Twitter account as he live-tweeted it. His book on Iverson comes out next month and will be a must-read for me. I think Iverson is one of the most fascinating athletes of my lifetime.

The doc also had some high school football highlights that I don't think I had seen yet. Iverson was a damn good QB/DB. He speed was incredible. I believe he still holds the VHSL record for more interceptions in a game with 5. Had a boatload of scholarship offers until the bowling alley fight.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The one on Iverson was one of the better 30 for 30s, as I recall.

As for his athletic ability, I've always maintained that if AI had come along 20 years earlier, he would likely have been a Hagler/Leonard/Hearns-esque welterweight/middleweight boxer.

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Did Babb ever cover Iverson?

I love Babb's writing and I want to get the book. I'm just curious if there is a link beyond him being in DC now.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I had never thought about that, but you are right.

What's happened to boxing is a shame.

5. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

Iverson did have 5 INTs in one HS football game. He quarterbacked Bethel HS to the state football championship and led the school to the state basketball championship the same school year. Then the bowling alley brawl intervened .....

6. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

What was the deal with the governor pardon? Wasn't he supposed to go to George Washington and then wound up at Georgetown?

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

It wasn't a "pardon," it was more like a furlough so Iverson could finish high school.

His conviction was overturned later by an appeals court, IIRC.

8. JackReacher

Babb tweeted out which schools he was considering. I can't pull them off the top of my head right now. I don't recall seeing GW, though.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

He had committed to Maryland, but that fell through after his conviction.

Before that, he was recruited by pretty much everyone.

10. JackReacher

Yeahhhhhh, Maryland. That's it. Gary Williams scares easily.

Draft saved Draft deleted