1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I've stopped watching the news

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RecoveringJournalist, Dec 1, 2014.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I regard Fox a more legitimate news vehicle than MSNBC. Not by much, but more legitimate.
    And nothing you pinkos say is going to get me to change my mind.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I watch weather to see women with nice figures and hopefully BIG TITS.

Fuck Al Roker, just die already you withered up prune.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

This x 1000. All pandering sensationalistic corporate propaganda foghorns. Every single one.

In many ways MSNBC is the worst of all because it purports to be a progressive/ liberal outlet, but its agenda is steered by the pathetic shameless reactionary right wing limp dick flack Scarborough. The whole network is an exercise in trolling.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

God, that was harsh.

I am at a bar.

Happy holidays everyone!

That includes you, withered up fucking Al Roker.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

http://www.nakednews.com

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Local news is terrible. We'd watch the newscast with our local news bingo cards - "Tight-knit community" "nothing like this would happen here" "parent's worst nightmare" "police are on the lookout"...were some of our typical squares. We usually had a bingo by the first commercial break.
    Local news has been shown to skew people's perception about how safe their community's are and is literally bad for you to watch.

7. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

I watch Don Lemon on CNN on occasion just for the unintentional comedic value of his work.

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

This.

And I work in TV news -- I have for 20 years.

I'm in a constant war with colleagues to take out the damn clichés, to add perspective to crime stories especially as we live in a very safe region.

TV news has many issues, namely the bottom feeding corporations that are the only buyers in TV news right now. They're gobbling up the last of the smaller groups. Everyone here who lives outside of a Top 20 market most likely has one of these dreadful ownership groups running a TV news operation in their city.

I'm fortunate in that I work at one of the last locally owned TV stations in the country. About 15 of us are left. Most of us are top-rated, which helps.

We do have a reputation as a place where journalism is valued and we don't needlessly hype weather or crime. We are allowed extra time for story telling and including production values.

That being said, about 70% of TV newsrooms don't really care about the product. They just want to air newscasts, not get sued and haul in that endless political attack ad money.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

CNN used to be the place to go for disasters. Now it is a disaster. They've sold out so much to politics that I don't think they can cover a story that can't be reduced to red state vs. blue state. The others aren't much better.

And local is a Superfund site, it's become so cliche. DanOregon's post reminded me of a previous post, when a station opened a bureau in our town and devoted a segment every night to news from our area. We'd stop production, open that day's paper and mark off how many of our stories it remanufactured and claimed as its own.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

All the news channels have given up news. It's all opinion and political punditry, especially in prime time. I only watch local news to see if they beat us on a sports story, which is hardly ever.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Talk is cheap, so it's perfect for cable news networks. Watch BBC World sometime. They report from every godforsaken place on earth, and the expense of that must be staggering. But they're a government subsidized operation. Even CNN International, a much denatured product, is 1000 times better than CNN for the USA, which operates on the principle Americans are morons. Having been around, I don't our percentage of morons is much higher than the world average.

12. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Worst or best, depending on how you look at it. Back when I watched Seattle local TV news, I would always watch the NBC station during bad weather because they would send Jim Forman and his yellow parka out to the mountain passes or wherever the weather was that day. Nearly without fail, he would come up with a story that looked like a SNL skit. Highly entertaining stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted