1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I've never seen The Godfather

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I haven't seen any of the sequels either. I don't really have any desire to see any of those movies. I'm sure they're great. Everyone says they are, but they just don't interest me.
    One of my co-workers busts my balls about this, especially since I happen to love a movie he considers one of the worst ever, Repo Man.
    Are there certain essential movies that you must see if you're into movies?
    If so, what are they?

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The Godfather.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I liked the list Esquire came out with a short while back.

http://www.esquire.com/features/movies/best-movies-ever-0609?click=main_sr

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I think it's shameful you haven't seen the first two (the third one? Meh).

But I have my own movie shame: I've never seen Grease. Yet I have seen - and enjoyed - Grease 2. Saw Grease 2 in the theater as a little kid and always watch it on rerun. Yet have no desire to see the original.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Here's a start:

Enter the Dragon.
    In Harm's Way
    Deep Throat
    Animal House
    Return of the Jedi
    Apocalypse Now
    The way we were

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Go see the Godfather & Godfather II. You don't need to be into mobsters to love these movies.

The filmmaking is incredible. The acting is phenomenal and the dialogue is memorable. Every scene is great.

Never -- NEVER -- see Godfather III. Just pretend it didn't happen.

7. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Take some rainy day when you have nothing to do, dim the lights, pull the shades and watch Godfather I and II back to back. Then thank me. Best two movies ever. The only debate is which is better.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

you can't call yourself any kind of movie lover and then add you haven't seen either godfather I or II. if you're teased about it, justifiably so.

forget any lists mentioned above. you're a self-proclaimed film aficionado of sorts? don't use that term ever again without having seen either gf.

case. closed.

9. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

My wife has never seen I or II but she is weird and it doesn't matter.
    If you profess to be any kind of educated student of film or saaay, the 20th century, you have to see them.

10. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

On a slightly related topic: I have a co-worker who's never eaten a hamburger. He is not a vegetarian, not scared of McDonalds, not a health nut. Just never had one. At this point (24 years old) I'm sure it's mostly a pride thing, but it boggles my mind that you could make it through your childhood without eating a hamburger.

11. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I thought Todd Marinovich was older than 24.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

This is nothing to brag about.

Draft saved Draft deleted