1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I've had it with The Price Is Right

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by casty33, Nov 17, 2014.

1. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

don't know for sure, but i think they may make you wear one of those stupid "pick me" shirts now to cut out free ads for nike, etc...

2. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

When TPIR went through the Barker to Carey transition, I would usually get off work in time to catch the show with my wife. For sure it was a bit gimmicky by the end of Barker's time, but we found it to still be entirely watchable. We loved Carey when he was on "Whose Line Is It Anyway" so we gave him a shot.
    After about a month, we couldn't watch it anymore. Not only were all the contestants called having the personalized shirts, seemingly every contestant making it on stage turned in a "I can't believe I'm playing a game on TPIR!" performance. That was bad enough, but Carey playing right along with them was the jumping the shark moment, IMO.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

During Barker's last year, my brother, sis and I went to try to get on the show. Waited in line at zero-dark-thirty and went through the whole shebang to try to get in. They didn't give away advance tickets, you were only guaranteed admission if you had a big group of 20 or more or whatever (an antiquated rule for back when there weren't enough audience members to fill the studio). But the show wouldn't tell if you might be up against a lot of groups (lest any groups cancelled), and on our day a ton of groups showed up and we didn't get in. Boo-hoo, I know. But from that point on I barely watched Bob in his final months, and I was never on board with Drew to begin with. For one thing, as a Cincinnati sports fan I couldn't handle all the Cleveland stuff.

4. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

So, it's like every first down in a football game?

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Fuck Bob Barker

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Watch it, Bobby.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

No. Just like every first down in an NFL or FBS game.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I've watched The Price Is Right a lot since I got an upper respiratory infection in mid-October.

I wish I could say Drew Carey was growing on me. He isn't.

The one guy doing a fish celebration thing on the ground after getting a $1.00 on his first big wheel spin was ridiculous. He should have saved that for the second time.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Casty I don't think that the show has changed much. It just shows that you are
    maturing and ready to leave those silly mindless tv shows of your youth
    behind. ;)

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

TPIR made for a great question during summer sheep. I'm still pissed that that little alpine yodeling motherfucker was the best pricing game.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

What doubly sucks is you can't even see the Janice-Dian-Holly episodes on Game Show Network, since their last contract with TPIR expired in 2000 and hasn't been renewed.

The 1972-80 shows gave away a lot of fur coats, and Barker banned those episodes from airing. And since the TPIR rights are held by two parties (Fremantle Media and CBS), GSN would have to pay royalties to both to start showing it again.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's weird -- how could GSN not renew that contract? Must have been a lot more expensive than the $25,000 Pyramid and Blockbusters.

My wife pulled out a reference recently to the old four-price game where they'd try to give away season tickets to the LA Dodgers, Kings, Lakers and Rams. Back when those four combined weren't as expensive as a car.

Draft saved Draft deleted