1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I've Had Enough

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dan Rydell, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Shit, corporate will probably give the boss a raise for forcing you out and cutting the budget.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I would work for your boss. I wouldn't like the commute, but I would work for your boss. Whether he'd be dumb enough to hire me is another story.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

good point. but he'll feel better. ;D 8) ::)

4. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Hey, peeps, I"m back on board tonight after another tough shift. Tough only because the end of this job is near, and I'm smelling the freedom, so these last days and weeks are hard to bear, just because I want to get out the door and move on.

Most of all, I thank you for what you have said to me, someone you don't know. It's really hard to leave a job like the one I have. It's very different from almost anything else you might imagine on this board, and I could tell you why, but that would spell it out in a heartbeat. PM me if you wanna know more. I might tell you that, but it would be after I leave it.

I loved this job. It was made for me, and I pulled it off with great success.

And I never could get anything close to what I needed. I want to stay, but there's no point in that. As the great George Carlin says, No one listens, and no one cares.

I can't believe I'm leaving. And yet I can't wait to get out.

Again, thanks, you peeps. You guys wrote some very good stuff for me. And I needed that.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Dan:

Sorry things have ended badly for you after a long and seemingly successful run in this business.
    Again, good luck wherever you land. I get the feeling you'll be OK.

6. Good luck, Dan.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

7. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Do yourself a favor and take that vacation, even if it's just a long weekend. The paper will be put out, one way or another. By not taking time off because you're not sure that anyone can replace you, you're putting yourself at risk for running yourself so far into the ground that you'll burn out and lose your job one way or another, by your choice or by theirs. Make the best game plan you can, then let someone else execute it. Who knows? Give someone else a chance, and maybe you'll find a potential second-in-command, and you can take more time off. You won't know if you don't try.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

who still does exit interviews anymore? They dont give a fuck why you're leaving, just fuckin leave already do we can hire some slap straight outta college to replace you. And then we'll mold his ass into a miserable bastard too.

God forbid they do an exit interview. They just might learn something negative about themselves...assuming that they're even listening.

9. We do exit interviews, and the majority of them have been brutal.

And nothing has changed.

10. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

I'll tell ya a coupla more things. My boss, who hides in his office, hasn't had any kind of conversation with me since before Christmas. No lie........And my "team," if you can call it that, has had maybe seven staff meetings in the past six years.

There is absolutely no discussion on anything it takes to run a usual news operation. No daily meetings, no daily talk, no nothing. Ain't that weird?

Is that not a mess?

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

maybe his chair is real comfortable. is it one of those high-backed ones?

12. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

lol, Petty. You're right. He's got a nice chair and a window view.

Draft saved Draft deleted