1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I've been plagiarized. Now what?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by moonlight, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If I had taken the proper channels and nothing happened, I'd go to step two.

If you have a blog at the paper, post the similarities and make sure to alert some friends in the media so it gets out there.

No way editors should let this crap slide. If people are going to be losing their jobs these days, we should start with the plagiarists.

2. Babs

Babs Member

Can I get a t-shirt with this on it?

3. That your distinctive voice is a dead giveaway?
    I'm in a good mood today.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Take it up the chain of command. Don't let your editors sit on it.

A good cease and desist letter should scare the shit out of most plagiarists.

A reporter for the other paper in our group had one of his stories plagiarized by The Washington Post. The next day, they printed a correction that indicated the story was originally reported by the paper in question. Our publisher told me later on that the Post fired said reporter.

5. You must be. I was sitting here in protective gear waiting to be blasted for asking such an open-ended question. :)

6. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

Try to find another copy of the magazine.
    Return the one you stole.
    Give your editor the new copy.
    Tell your editor.
    Let your editor decide how to proceed.

7. Jim_Mora

Jim_Mora Member

wait wait wait

you just stole the magazine from the doctors office and yet have the audacity to complain about someone copying your work?

8. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Or at least tear the address tab off.

9. lono

lono Active Member

Starman justice needed here.

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Wait a minute. You got the magazine is in the doctor's office? That means it has to be what, three years old -- at a minimum. Maybe you plagiarized him.

11. moonlight

moonlight Member

The article I wrote was published in March of 2005. It was contained quotes from one-on-one interviews with two people. The magazine story, written by a woman, used the same exact quotes, as well as at least two identical paragraphs from my story. And it was published last month.

12. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Find the guy that did it, on your day off of course, and follow him around all day, copying him - everything he says, does, eats.

Draft saved Draft deleted