1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I've been placed on waivers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Baron Scicluna, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yep, after nearly 15 years in the newspaper business, and 10 at the current place, I've been given my outright release.

I knew it was going to happen. I had been told that my job was being eliminated a while ago. The date hadn't been finalized until a couple of weeks ago.

I'm sad, but at the same time, I'm ready for a new challenge (besides the obvious one of finding employment). I've been in journalism for my entire professional life and I'm curious as to what life is like on the non-newspaper side. And yeah, I'm scared too, that I'll end up hating my next career.

But I took the advice of many on this board, and had a Plan B. I'm going back to school at my local community college for the paralegal program. I'll be looking for jobs in PR, and taking a bunch of Civil Service tests in the meantime. But I figure that my journalism skills will translate pretty well to a paralegal job.

So, right now, it's one step back. Hopefully, it'll turn to two steps forward.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Good luck, Baron.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Good luck. And keep us updated. Plenty of people here considering going back to school, I would think.

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Sorry man, but congrats on being prepared and having a plan. Good luck.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Not a good day at the top of the AG board.

Good luck to you, and if you find a new job and it's hiring, plz consider me k thx bai!

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Sorry to hear that baron. Good luck figuring out the next step. You seem to be going at it the right way.

7. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

At first I was hopeful it would say "I've been placed on blast," but no such luck. Good luck, Baron.

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Baron, good luck to you.

And paralegal training is a pretty good avenue to pursue. Good on you for thinking this out to that point.

9. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Good luck Baron. I am sure something good will happen.

I will however disagree with Babar. . . Baron may have thought about the next step, but he wasn't necessarily prepared.

So. . . for all of those wondering what you might do if your job is cut next, get to work. Take the paralegal course or finish the community college work now so that when the time does come (if it does), you don't have to wait six months to get on with your life.

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

You're never emotionally prepared, but logistically, he seems a hell of a lot more prepared than I was. Hopefuly it will serve him well.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Good luck, bruddah.

12. Good luck Baron, sorry to hear that this happened.

Draft saved Draft deleted