1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I've been invited to join the Kiwanis. Should I?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Jun 17, 2009.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Awesome pull with the password.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

For the weed.

3. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

But if any of you could put in a word for me, I'd love to be a mason. Masonry opens doors. I'd be very quiet, I was a bit on edge just now but if I were a mason I'd sit at the back and not get in anyone's way.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Be careful. One of my first SEs was a Kiwanian. Now he really wanted to belong, but he basically gave the Kiwanis coverage every week in the "A" section.

He's a good man and certainly was ink-stained, but I really wonder if they wanted him because of who he was or because they would get free and easy ink on command.

5. doctorx

doctorx Member

As a Kiwanian for most of my career, my experience has been very positive. Never pressured to handle publicity, etc. Get some kidding about mistakes in the paper and there was an old guy who (nicely) used to ask why his paper was late, but that's about it. If you like the people and like what the club does, go ahead.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I used to be in the Jaycees until I moved to Texas.

7. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

never could understand how'd they'd have a social club that didn't allow that little hottie, darla!

[​IMG]

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

why do you hate texas jaycees?

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

My grandpa was a freemason. I want to be a freemason. I also don't know how to become one.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

So I went.
    They meet every Thursday for lunch.
    Surprisingly, at 39 I was not the youngest guy there.
    Lots of banker types, who I think have to join one social organization as part of their jobs. Most people seemed to be in their 40s or early 50s.
    They also had women folk there, I was surprised since I thought it was dudes only. Anyway, they want me to come back.
    I may beg off and say that I can't because my boss won't let me, I don't know yet. I think I would need to run it by him no matter what.
    We can be kind of weird about such things here.
    *shrug*
    The lunch place has Galaga, which might be enough of a reason for me to join.
    Love me some Galaga.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

They all got married at age 20 in Texas. :D

No reason really, just got a busier job.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

It is now.

Draft saved Draft deleted