1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I've been invited to join the Kiwanis. Should I?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Jun 17, 2009.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

So I've been asked to join the Kiwanis and I know nothing about what they do, or even who is in, but they have a meeting tomorrow and they want me to come by for lunch.
    I did a profile on a guy who is like the chapter president but my article was wholly unrelated to Kiwanis or anything like that.
    Any advice?
    The best line from the guy was:
    "Well, since you're a reporter, don't worry about the dues, we'll cover that."
    And at first I thought "thanks for reminding me I'm poor." But then I thought "maybe they just want me to get some free publicity for their various activities, whatever they might be."
    But then, is that ethical and all that? And should I Facebook him?[/crossthread]

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Are you 90?

3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Hold out for an invite from the Shiners.

4. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Or Shriners even.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I belong to the Elks and Rotary. Two very different organizations, but they each do a lot of good work.
    It can be very good for community relations. More newsroom people should do it.
    I joined the Elks when I still worked ina newsroom, and I think it helped ease some negative perceptions of the paper.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Rejected by the Masons, eh?

I'd shoot to be an Elk or an Optimist or even a Son of Norway.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I've stayed out of service clubs, but not for any significant reason. I just couldn't devote any time to them with my schedule/travel. I also had no real interest.
    This much is very true - if you join, PAY the dues. If, soon after you join, they start suggesting stories, run.
    I'd check with the brass, too. Does this take you out of covering anything any service club does?

I was not allowed to be president of my kids' swim team but that's a different case.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Funny. I always pictured you as more of Sons of the Desert than Son of Norway

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Elks and Moose are more fraternal.
    Rotary, Lions, Kiwanis, etc. are strictly service clubs.

10. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Join the Stonecutters. Steve Guttenberg still needs the help.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I joined the Elks when I was still with a newspaper. I never got pressured.
    I got asked: 'How come there's never anything in the paper about our events?'
    I said: 'Does anybody send it in or call the newsroom? I was assistant city editor for two years before moving back to sports, and I can't recall a single calendar item, press release or phone call from the Elks Lodge about an upcoming event.'
    They completely understood, and I reviewed good submission practices with them.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Join the group with the funny hats.

Draft saved Draft deleted