1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I've been informed by my boss we don't need ethics ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Apr 30, 2008.

1. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

I really hope the blue font control on my computer is broken.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I'm a little worried about you, sending that e-mail to the pubisher explaining why this is WRONG.

Giving a publisher a lecture on ethics is like giving a skunk a lecture on fragrance. You most likely are going to get sprayed now.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Can you do the fluff job and not put your byline on it?

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

This just posted on the jobs board. Rhody, is this your outfit?

Southern Rhode Island Newspapers is now accepting applications for a full-time sports reporter. Applications/resumes can be sent to jbarrett@ricentral.com

5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I posted that. And, yes, it's unrelated to Rhody31's golf issue. (We lost a guy two weeks ago to sometime called auto-keg. I don't even know what that means.)

6. Mediator

Mediator Member

That sucks. I would include in my story the exact circumstances that led to the review. Full fucking disclosure.

And ditto on getting another job.

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

You have everything in your favor except the fact that your execs might fire your ass. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. Good luck.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The problem with trying to be an ethical journalist is that most modern newspapers are run by people who are neither ethical nor journalists.

Rhody ... good luck and keep pounding.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Perfect. So true it hurts.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Upper deck 'em. All of them.

Then look for another job.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Anyone notice whenever some group gives an award out to some journo for his or her ethics, its always after they've been fired? Nice industry. You take a stand for ethics, you get handed a pink slip and a shiny plaque. All that ethics crap is just to save news orgs asses in the event of a lawsuit. The same goes for the exit interview. Unless you say your boss was harassing you or you felt it was a hostile work environment, they really won't do anything with what you say in an exit interview.

12. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Publisher emailed me back today
    I'M NOT FIRED ;D

Publisher said she never told EE to write fluff piece with only positives; wanted to do it in a fair way.
    Methinks someone is going to get reprimanded, and I don't think it's going to be me.

BTW, when I saw the job posting, I nearly puked, until I saw my co-worker posted it about the kid who just left our shop.
    Oh, and we're going on one year without an SE. I love my business, love writing, but god damn do I hate my company.

Draft saved Draft deleted