1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I've been informed by my boss we don't need ethics ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Good for you. I wish you the best. Can't say that I'd have the balls to do that.

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Wait...
    You're from Rhode Island?

3. awriter

awriter Active Member

Well, if it were me, I would have told them that the only golf courses I've played have windmills and loops, and I would have been telling the truth.
    But good for you for standing your ground. Now, drop those clips in the mail.

4. dieditor

dieditor Member

Wait a second, Rhody...you don't want to misinform your readers and your EE told you that "wasn't how the business works" and it was why you don't have an SE?

Jesus, aren't we still supposed to at least pretend we have souls and that we respect the readers?

I feel for you, man, that's a tough spot. I'm still not sure why that keeps you from having an SE, but I guess the product isn't the top priority of your bosses...

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'd put the story off 'til i found another gig.

6. Rex Harrison

Rex Harrison Member

Word.

Seriously, just write the blowjob piece, grin, enjoy your shit sandwich, and at least have income while you job hunt. Being out on your ass without a way to pay the rent/mortgage/car/insurance/whatever just isn't worth it these days.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Don't forget to lie about your score when you play. After all, they don't care about ethics.

Seriously, good luck.

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

how's this for ethics? the top dog in small newspaper chain finagled masters golf credentials for he and his son last year and we had to run his garbage (even held the paper past deadline) to justify the credentials that were nothing more than a vacation for dear ol' dad and son. before that, the publisher of my rag got caught plagiarizing a column with no real consequences.

how in the hell do they expect reporters/editors to have ethics when they throw them out the window on a regular basis?

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What in heavens name makes you think they expect the reporters and editors to have ethics?

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

you have a lot of respect for yourself, don't you

11. Yeah, you can sell it for a couple of pounds of Extremely Stupid.
    Jesus.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm with hondo. If you sell it little by little like that, you hardly feel the sting.

Don't make waves. Do whatever you are told by authority figures, please.

Draft saved Draft deleted