1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I've been asked to give a speech

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

This morning, somebody called me and asked me if I could give a speech at a senior citizens breakfast. The speech should be about sports, but the person who called me about it said the topic was up to me.
    Pro sports really aren't my area of expertise (I don't cover them so I don't know much more than the average guy on the street). I cover local stuff, but I'm not sure what might be a worthwhile topic for this sort of thing.
    I'm glad to do this. I always like to help out whenever I can, and as David Spade said, whenever the courts tell me to. (OK, I'm just kidding about that part).
    What might be an interesting local kind of topic for this type of audience?

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Win.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Something sports-related.

5. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

Matlock.

6. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Sanka, prunes or this:

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sell them pre-arranged funerals.

8. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

Or Old Glory Robot Insurance.

9. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

The picture's a little goofy for some reason, but this might work for you:

10. doctorx

doctorx Member

Explain why boxing and horse racing are no longer two of the "big three" sports.

11. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

I leave these: a box of mint-condition 1918 liberty-head silver dollars. You see, back in those days, rich men would ride around in Zeppelins, dropping coins on people, and one day I seen J.D. Rockefeller flying by. So I run of the house with a big washtub and... hey! Where are you going? Anyway, about my washtub. I'd just used it that morning to wash my turkey, which in those days was known as...a walking-bird. We'd always have walking-bird on Thanksgiving, with all the trimmings: cranberries, injun eyes, yams stuffed with gunpowder. Then we'd all watch football, which in those days was called baseball...
    Eh, why didn't you get something useful, like storm windows, or a nice pipe organ? I'm thirsty! Ew, what smells like mustard? There sure are a lot of ugly people in your neighborhood. Ooh, look at that one. Ow, my glaucoma just got worse. The president is a Democrat! Hello? I can't unbuckle my seat belt. Hello? There are too many leaves in your walkway...
    We can't bust heads like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to tell 'em stories that don't go anywhere - like the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. "Give me five bees for a quarter," you'd say.

Now where were we? Oh yeah: the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Excuse me while I whip this out.

Draft saved Draft deleted