1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ivan Maisel's son missing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting the link to the eulogy. What an honest and lovely tribute to his son.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Haven't been to Rochester for years but if he fell in near the Genesee Falls, the river may not have been frozen over. because (as was said) the current was moving too swiftly to freeze.

That was a beautiful eulogy. Probably the hardest story he has ever written, yet done so wonderfully.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Well done. The manhole cover, whew, that got me. Powerfully well worded.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

That is a father who was incredibly tuned in to his son - his strengths and weaknesses. Knowing that you can't fight all your battles for your child.
    I've never ever been so impressed by a father.

Donny in his element likes this.
  6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

That was an absolutely beautiful eulogy, by someone who obviously knew his son, and loved him, just because, and also, anyway.

I loved that about the tribute. It truly shared their son with us.

I have a little problem with what wasn't shared, however.

Ivan alluded to some circumstantial evidence that Max may have intended to take his own life, and I would have liked to have known what that was, especially given such a eulogy that shows the parents did, in fact, know, develop and properly love their son, and given the fact that Max, by the sounds of this eulogy, was doing well, and given the evidence -- or non-evidence -- of suicidal intent in the days and weeks preceding the young man's death.

Honestly, I can't imagine losing a child and thinking that it doesn't matter whether it was accidental or suicidal. I mean, I guess the end result is identical, as Ivan said. But, those circumstances are just not the same, and neither can or will any survivors' reactions or possibilities for closure be the same in either case.

I hurt for this family. And if they truly don't know what happened, I hurt for them even more.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I've read that eulogy twice. Got dusty both times. Damn.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Asking seriously, not to be a wiseass. Isn't Asperger's mild autism? Or is it something different?

My son just called about something else but he saw this when I posted it on Twitter so we talked about it a while. Said he hasn't been able to bring himself to read it yet. We talked about it at work, too. Incredibly well done and so so hard to read. As was noted above, this was a man who knew his kid, really knew his kid.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I honestly don't know for sure. I'm not sure there are many people who do know for sure.

The fact that they have a separate name for it (Aspergers) rather than simply call it "mild autism" has me wondering if the two are the same or if there are some slight, but important, differences.

Asperger’s Syndrome | Autism Society - Autism Society

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

11. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Oh my gosh, that's one of the most poignant heartbreaking and yet earnest statements of gratitude I've ever seen. God bless

12. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Asperger (which is no longer a diagnosis in the DSM-V) is a type of mild autistic spectrum disorder. For clarity, they now call all the ASD's one thing and grade from high-functioning to low-functioning rather than have separate diagnoses along the same spectrum.

Functionally, people who had Asperger/now have high-functioning ASD are generally much more functional in society than those with more severe autism. The most significant developmental difference is the acquisition of language - Asperger kids don't have a delay in their language skills and may be hyperverbal while more traditional autism has delayed, if at all, acquisition of language.

I have Asperger Syndrome. Parts of the son's story rang very true to my experience, particularly finding my first real friends online and some sensory issues, but I'm always hesitant to diagnose other people. Doctors went through several diagnoses before settling on that one for me that may also fit him (nonverbal learning disorder is a big one, and I think PDD-NOS went away with the DSM merge). It could have fit. It could have not. Regardless, he obviously developed some sort of depression secondary to all those things.

Draft saved Draft deleted