1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ivan Maisel's son missing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 25, 2015.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Hey, look, when he's spouting crap covering for the NFL, by all means, he needs to be called on it. This? No.

2. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

I don't get how this Peter King thing is even a thing.

3. Gold

Gold Active Member

I'm sure Peter King deserves a lot of the grief he receives, but his statement about his fear when his child was lost for three minutes is probably true. I remember when my daughter was 3 and she was lost for about 15 minutes. Of course it doesn't compare what Ivan Maisel's family is going through, but the thought of something bad happening is a moment of terror for any parent. After five minutes, your thought pattern starts to go crazy. My daughter was at the age and height where they like to hide, and racks of clothes are perfect for that.

Pray for the Maisels.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

5. Moderator1

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That was such a graceful and gracious statement by the Maisels. My heart goes out to them.

7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Something I don't understand about this: wouldn't the river have been frozen solid? Down here, the Potomac froze from shore to shore, Deep Creek Lake was very thick as usual, and even the Chesapeake Bay was freezing up and required an icebreaker.

Not trying to be insensitive - I am just curious as to how he could have gone through the ice that far north, given how cold it had been.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Depends on how fast the water is moving at the surface.

Why do streams not freeze in winter? | Appalachian Biodiversity and Society Lab

9. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

It was pretty interesting how in the article they seemed to glaze over the possibility that it could have been a suicide, "drowned either intentionally or accidentally"

It doesn't matter. Either way he's gone and either way it's a tragedy.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

How would you have written it? I thought it was pretty good.

11. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I would not have changed it at all. It was worded perfectly. It just jumped out at me.

12. Moderator1

The eulogy. Wow. Not sure I'd have the strength to do this

TeamBud likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted