1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ivan Maisel's son missing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 25, 2015.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Haven't met Peter, but I do believe you that he's probably a very, very good person. But he also appears to be completely oblivious with this tweet. This story is not about him, yet his tweet is clearly a matter of injecting himself into the story. Maybe not intentionally, but certainly cluelessly.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Like many others, you're way overthinking this. His kid was lost for three minutes and he was frantic, so he's saying he "feels for" someone who is going through something infinitely worse. He didn't say they were the same. He didn't say he knows how Ivan feels. He said he feels for the family. Why is that so awful? I feel for them, too.

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

4. Sunshine nailed it.
    That's why he catches shit.
    Sure, we understand the sentiment.
    But ask yourself, if that's something you would tweet. You lost your kid for 3 minutes in a mall. Maisel's son likely, willingly went for a long walk off a short pier. There is NO fucking comparison to the two. NONE.
    PK should catch shit for it.

old_tony likes this.
  5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Good, nice, gentle, caring men can say terribly inappropriate, egotistial and cringe-worthy comments; I prove this daily.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Twitter is the fucking worst, and I am not defending the twitter creatures; but this is a lifetime achievement award for King. His tone deafness happens again and again and again.

If you really want to Zapruder the tweet, it would not be as bad if King gave to comment to you or me. But, as I understand twitter, he sent it to the Maisel family. Jesus Christ, REALLY??? Do you think at this moment, King telling him that he lost his kid for three fucking minutes, 20 years ago, is a comfort to him?

My neighbor is dying of cancer. I think I'll comfort her by tweeting her about how I thought the lump on my ball sack was cancerous (it was benign). That will make her feel better.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

This is a stunning overreaction. You want to pick on Peter? Fine, that's your choice. But over this? You'll have to do better.

When the shootings happened at Virginia Tech in 2007, I was able to reach my son right away. It took me about an hour to reach my daughter and my stomach was churning harder with each phone call that went unanswered. I mentioned to someone later how hard that was and that I couldn't even fathom what it was like for the parents who kept calling and calling and calling and never reached their kids.

That's all Peter was doing here. Three minutes was hell, what must it be like for the Maisel family? (and I can't even fathom there, unreal).

I keep seeing this thread has grown and I keep hoping maybe there's some news. Nope. Just some folks using it as a vehicle to bash Peter.

As for the post about him being a horrible human, wow. Just wow. Do you know him? Check my history, I made this point ages before I started working at SI. I'd heard before that he was a very good guy. Sure he's written and tweeted a few things that may make you shake your head. I have, too, and so have most of you. We just don't have anywhere close to his audience. His numbers are mind boggling.

My biggest discovery since coming here has been that the reports of his good-guy-ness were not exaggerated.

Rip away, he's a big name and it is your right. But over this?

Continued good thoughts for the family of another good guy, Ivan Maisel. If anyone has news, please post it.

Iron_chet, Dick Whitman and Vombatus like this.
  8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Every time this thread is bumped, I hope it's got good news - and not a stupid slap fight.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Sorry, I will agree to disagree.

Go ahead and tell someone who has lost a child about the time 20 years ago, you couldn't find your kid for three minutes. Just go ahead and do it.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

People who have lost children have more important things to do than declare to the world how much worse they have it than everyone else.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The long walk off a short pier comment is much worse than King's tweet.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Well said Moddy. I've never understood why Peter King is constantly ripped and parodied by the SJ membership. He
    seems like a really decent and down to earth chap.

Draft saved Draft deleted