1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

iTunes question that's probably been answered several dozen times

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Apr 12, 2009.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Alas, it's late and I don't feel like going all TSP on the search function. :D

With my piece of shit computer non-functional for three weeks, I finally gave up tonight and performed a complete system restore. I didn't save my iTunes beforehand. I'm not too upset about that, since my CD collection comprised 95 pct of the songs in my iTunes. And I only added about five pct of my CD collection to iTunes, so I'm not even upset about potentially having to go back and do it again.

However, I'd still like to avoid that if possible, so I was wondering if I can hook my iPod up to the computer and add songs from the iPod to my iTunes library on my hard drive. Does anyone know if I can do this? Or would that wipe out the iPod? THAT would upset me. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks...

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I'm 95 percent sure you can move songs back from your iPod. When you hook it up to the comp, it should ask if you want to transfer songs to iTunes.

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

NO. Do not do this. Pretty sure that will screw you.

When my old Macbook went tits up, I used a free (I think it was free) program called ipodrip. Worked slicker than owl shit.

4. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

If you performed a system restore, you should be able to just re-download iTunes and your library should still be there. I did a system restore just several days ago, too. I had to re-download iTunes, but my full library was still intact. If not, you can to several websites that will allow you to plug your iPod into any USB port and it'll transfer the music directly back onto iTunes. This WILL cost you money, though. Some websites will allow you to transfer "X" amount of GB from your iPod to your iTunes free of charge, but if you have a significant amount of songs, then you're looking at having to pay $20-$30.

5. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

senuti also works (itunes spelled backwards)

6. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I believe that's the program I used. Then again, it costs money.

Just type "iPod Rip" into any Google search and you'll find numerous websites.

7. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Assholes, charging money to perform a service. Why can't everything be free, like newspapers? :)

8. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Like hookers?

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

You can't pull tunes off the iPod into iTunes. Apple had to agree to that to get the record companies to go along. Keeps you from using your iPod to grab all your friends' music.

Senuti is, I believe, Mac-only. But there's a bunch of other programs out there that will do it.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

They put Night Ranger on iTunes?

11. Senuti is free and works well (and much faster than I expected). I believe there is also a PC version.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Maybe, but they don't have 20,000 live versions of "Sister Christian" accumulated over years of collecting bootlegs. :p

Draft saved Draft deleted